Search the forum,

Discuss calcium sulphate screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

on a job at the moment with a calcium sulphate screed asked the builder to find out which type it is and if the screeders were going to sand the floor once they installed it,he sent some stuff the supplier sent him (generic and vague info on flow screeds and the contractors telephone number, i rang the suppliers of the screed who were approved installers of cemex supaflow calcium sulphate screed and asked them about if the were going sand the laitence from the floor,
there surveyor didnt have a clue what i was talking about and told tme that of the thousands of sqm of flow screeds they havbe laid it was the first time they had heard of removing laitence as way of preparing the floors to take a floor covering and no -one in the office was aware that it needed to be done , i asked him if he had the technical specs for the product and the phone went quiet ,then he said that he would come back to me
Why are these people allowed to sell and install products they no nothing about ? it is a farce
I rang cemex technical help line went to the voicemail box which wasnt allowing any more messages not good when you consider how costly failures are over these products

G

Gazzer

Pretty much what I get Gary.

Ok so the tilers are educated with these screeds maybe its time for the rest of the building trade ?

Reaction score
Gary

Perhaps you should refer the contractor to this web page (from the "Contract Flooring Journal"). Anhydrite screeds: Handle with care

I wonder if you spoke to the office clerk? I find it hard to believe the contractor knows nothing about surface laitance - but then again, how much intelligence does it take to pump pre-mixed calcium sulphate into a new build?

Good luck

Andy

S

Spud

Gary

Perhaps you should refer the contractor to this web page (from the "Contract Flooring Journal"). Anhydrite screeds: Handle with care

I wonder if you spoke to the office clerk? I find it hard to believe the contractor knows nothing about surface laitance - but then again, how much intelligence does it take to pump pre-mixed calcium sulphate into a new build?

Good luck

Andy
no it was their senior surveyor who quotes and prices for all their work, no-one in their office had a clue

Reaction score
no it was their senior surveyor who quotes and prices for all their work, no-one in their office had a clue
Lol - I appreciate you said "their surveyor" but at the end of the phone it could be anyone told to say they were the surveyor and palm you off, unless you actually knew the guy. In any case your point remains completely valid - why are they installing a product they know very little about? Dave has a good point though - when I have worked on anyhydrite screeds, the developers expected the tiling contractor to prep the floor to tile (i.e.sanding and if necessary laying an "uncoupling" membrane).

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
on a job at the moment with a calcium sulphate screed asked the builder to find out which type it is and if the screeders were going to sand the floor once they installed it,he sent some stuff the supplier sent him (generic and vague info on flow screeds and the contractors telephone number, i rang the suppliers of the screed who were approved installers of cemex supaflow calcium sulphate screed and asked them about if the were going sand the laitence from the floor,
there surveyor didnt have a clue what i was talking about and told tme that of the thousands of sqm of flow screeds they havbe laid it was the first time they had heard of removing laitence as way of preparing the floors to take a floor covering and no -one in the office was aware that it needed to be done , i asked him if he had the technical specs for the product and the phone went quiet ,then he said that he would come back to me
Why are these people allowed to sell and install products they no nothing about ? it is a farce
I rang cemex technical help line went to the voicemail box which wasnt allowing any more messages not good when you consider how costly failures are over these products

oh dear!! which screeder installed it??

S

Spud

Lol - I appreciate you said "their surveyor" but at the end of the phone it could be anyone told to say they were the surveyor and palm you off, unless you actually knew the guy. In any case your point remains completely valid - why are they installing a product they know very little about? Dave has a good point though - when I have worked on anyhydrite screeds, the developers expected the tiling contractor to prep the floor to tile (i.e.sanding and if necessary laying an "uncoupling" membrane).
In europe the screed suppliers deliver a finished floor ready to take a floor covering the reason for this is the floor must be sanded within 3 -10 days of laying it since timescales and programs can be so variable the onus is on supplier of the screed to do it as they control when it is done not the tiling contractor

Reply to calcium sulphate screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen