Search the forum,

Discuss Brick style splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leftylewis1987

i am currently doing alot of tiling on kitchen splash backs on council houses. the walls are in bad shape and the tiles are 200x100 brick style. i cant seem to get a good finish and there is alot of lippage.

im using a 6mm notched trowel but a few people have mentioned using a 8mm or even a 10mm. another tiler have also that just dabbing the tile would be better.

what do you think would work best?

R

Rich

Thicker trowel and a good quality cement based (powder) adhesive. You can also use the adhesive to make good of the wall before you tile.

L

leftylewis1987

only problem is the money is rubbish so cant afford to be preping walls. the council wouldnt care if a plumber tiled the walls as long as it gets done.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

I gave away a council contract of 500 houses a few years ago for the same reasons,

Walls were a mess & i just wasnt happy with the state of the tiles,

I tiled one bathroom splashback & one kitchen & walked away.

Its as quick as they can get it done & they dont care the state of it.

T

Time's Ran Out

only problem is the money is rubbish so cant afford to be preping walls. the council wouldnt care if a plumber tiled the walls as long as it gets done.

As you are getting paid to tile, I'am assuming your a professional tiler and as such the work you are producing should be of a quality and standard which will be a credit to our trade.
If you are prepared to leave the work at a level below your own personal expectations due to the amount of money you are being paid, then I'd suggest one of two options - either change your job or charge more money and do it properly.

L

leftylewis1987

thats exactly it. because i have only been tiling 3 months i want to get stuck into it to give me experience. its not the best of jobs but id like to get it right.

L

leftylewis1987

as i said in my post iv only been tiling 3 months so i have little experience compared to someone who has been tiling for years. we all got to start somewhere. im working on council houses and they are limited on what the pay.

Reply to Brick style splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen