Currently reading:
Brick style splash back

Discuss Brick style splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I feel sad when reading these posts, it seems we see more and more. As TJ says, three months is not the way you learn a trade, ( and tiling is a trade). Three years is the current criteria, used to be five/ six years. We as a skilled workforce should make a stand, and say with one voice "we have had enough"!!!.

Courses provide a basic introduction to to the art of tiling, nothing more, as any trade, tiling takes many years to master, and to become a true master craftsman takes a lifetime, we can't compete with the diluted skills of these wannabe tilers, sorry if my personal views upset anyone but, I am passionate about my trade.

I hope I have not blown my TF membership, I may have voiced my opinion once to often.:thumbsup:

S

Stef

Well said Phil, every other day we see new members on here that have done a 3/5 day tiling course & think they can call themselves professional tradesmen

I dont think its their fault as you see the adverts in the paper, become a tiler in 5 days & make £40k.

Our trade is getting diluted by some very poor tilers but how can we make a stand?

I knew i wanted to be a tiler, I never came through a course, i worked on site for 2 1/2 years as a tilers labourer, but i came from a building background, i worked as a joiner & I was also a bricklayer, i never went back to do my last year as an apprentice brickie.

The one good thing though will be when the public start to realise that this tiling lark is a very skilled trade & when waters pouring through ceilings etc then they might phone tilers like ourselves to do the job properly.

J

jay

But the question is what is your next move,do you persist trying to produce good quality work with no allowance for prep work or do you just soldier on and hope you get away with it,Once you lower your standard to meet demand it takes a lot to bring it back up and by then the damage is done (your name is mud)
So a question to you what have you decided to do about your problem.

And Phil i know i am not over there but We have had enough!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Just to make it clear, I'm not having a pop at courses, or the people who go on them. I think the Government should have put more funding into apprenticeship schemes for small businesses, years ago. I think trade associations should push this more. I am aware of the grants that are available, to little, to late imo.

This problem is not unique to tiling, it is happening in all trades. Rant over.:incazzato::thumbsup:

Reply to Brick style splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.