Search the forum,

Discuss Boxing in pipes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simhopper

use pendock boxing from PTS

PTS Signs up For Pendock Boxing-Pak

prices start from around £10

far neater than a plywood boxing

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Benny Tiler

I have a quick queston about boxing in so I thought I would add it to this thread.

I'm boxing in pipes next week for the first time. When you fit the battons to the wall, can you screw straight into plasterboard or do you need to drill a hole then use a rawl plug?

Thanks
Ben

N

Nardini

I don't mean to sound patronising here Ben, but you should screw into the timber batons (studs) behind the plasterboard. If you tap, you should be able to work out where they are - or use one of those rather nice stud finders being mentioned in other threads here. Putting it bluntly, if you thump the wall with the flat of your hand and feel any movement, you need to stud up from the floor as added strength. After all, punters have been known to stand on the boxes in the past - especially their children... :smilewinkgrin:

A

ad tiling

Another way to find studs in the wall is simply drill a hole
in the plaster bend a piece wire and run it along the back
of the plaster until it hits the stud

R

RobbieD

With regard to screwing battens to walls and floors, I often use my old mate 'Mr. Silicone' - nice and cheap from Screwfix and is as strong as screws any day.....

C

Colour Republic

I wouldn't agree i'm afraid, silicone is inded a strong adhesive but it depends on which way the force is coming from. If like Nardini says some kid stands on it or maybe an adult steps up to reach say a window it will come away. for the sake of 10 mins and a couple of screws I'd be safe rather than sorry. I'd add a couple of blobs of silicone along with the screws but that's just me because it's normally knocking about in a bathroom fit

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RobbieD

I take your point - but surely in the case of vertical boxing-in, using silicone is a far quicker method and allows for some adjustment to get things perfectly square (and especially where there may be a chance of hitting some rogue water pipes!).

Reply to Boxing in pipes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen