Search the forum,

Discuss bottom of doors in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Trimming a door without pain - as instructed to me by my joiner.....

1. Mark amount to trim off door. Then carefully (using a new stanley blade) score a line along the top surface (this prevents inevitable "rip" marks from using circular saw).
2. Use masking tape and lay 3 strips across door where circular saw will move (saves scuff marking door when cutting).
3. Use a cheap 110v Skil saw or similar, (£50 or thereabouts) but buy a decent saw blade to fit - always check blade before cutting to ensure it is sharp.
4. Cut using circular saw.
5. Only use a plane if less than 2mm to trim. Then mark trim lines around whole door (all 4 sides) with pencil marks to ensure planing is square.

Insurance - when you get your traders liability insurance, add "builder/building trades" skill - additional cost is just a few quid. However this covers you for "general building skills" like fitting doors. Some liability insurance does not like insuring woodworking tool use ... because they can cause so much serious injury! So if you ain't conifident - swallow your pride and hire a joiner.

K

kendo1

With a Festool:
Put two small pencil marks at each end of the bottom of the door
Place guide on marks
Set saw to depth of door plus 8mm
Cut
You may have to finish with fine sandpaper

afright

TF
Reaction score
The tiling company I worked for years ago, the boss came on site with a new tool for cutting doors without removing them he gave us a demonstration he ripped the door to bits that tool was never used again.

Reply to bottom of doors in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen