Discuss Big clinker and porcelain tiles problem in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

IMO it is nothing to do with the cutter, its the tile in most cases

I agree, there are the odd few tiles that just won't cut, usually those stupid double fired ones. Do they not realise it just makes them brittle and a pain to cut? Over engineered for no good reason.

H

Hlm

They are a nightmare! Very frustrating, the wheel on the cutter is fine, I think it's the density and how they have been made.

rabw

-
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but just to chime in... I have a big clinker that I've put a brand new wheel on. Having the exact same problem with the porcelain tiles I'm currently laying, which is why I'm now using a wet cutter for everything. My big clinker was mostly trouble free when I did porcelain tiles 6+ years ago in my old kitchen - the tiles were cheap ones off eBay then too, the current ones are relatively expensive.

J

Jason T

I know this is an old thread, but just to chime in... I have a big clinker that I've put a brand new wheel on. Having the exact same problem with the porcelain tiles I'm currently laying, which is why I'm now using a wet cutter for everything. My big clinker was mostly trouble free when I did porcelain tiles 6+ years ago in my old kitchen - the tiles were cheap ones off eBay then too, the current ones are relatively expensive.
My clinker was doing great, cutting with light pressure score and breaking very cleanly then suddenly it started chipping the glaze? bits popping off after its scored? heavier pressure is slightly better but its still popping off in places. These will look bad when I grout. tried various adjustments and 2 new wheels but no joy. Any ideas?

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
A wet/dry porcelain blade in a 4inch grinder 95% of the time ,only ever doing wet cuts on external corners and window cuts ?

Reply to Big clinker and porcelain tiles problem in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks