Currently reading:
Best grout for tiled shower over bath

Discuss Best grout for tiled shower over bath in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

KingBilly

Hi,

I have just finished ceramic tiling bathroom, walls & built in bath with power shower over. The tiles were adhered straight on to Wickes Tile Panels which are fixed to timber battens which in turn are fixed to the brick walls.

What will the best grout be to use? I have looked at Epoxy grouts as I wouldn't need to seal afterwards but would a Mapei Ultracolour or similar be ok as it claims to be water repellant and used in swimming pools? Cost is not a problem but just want the best grout possible for a keen DIYer to use which will last.

Also, can I grout where the tiles meet the sloped ceiling or will this need to silicone'd? The tiles are 7mm x 150 x 150mm plain white ceramic and there is a 3-4mm gap where the tiled vertical walls meet the ceiling.

Thanks,
KB

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
A flexible grout should be fine, Tilemasters grout 3000 is an excellent product and user friendly. I personally wouldn't advise a diyer to use epoxy. Also, very few of us tile directly onto ply floors anymore. I'd consider a backerboard (marmox, hardie) or a decoupling membray (durabase, ditra). The adhesive you have is excellent but again I wouldn't be using it on a ply floor. Ultra do a range of s1 and s2 (proflex) adhesives which are better suited to your floor.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Strictly speaking if something is gypsum based and you're using cement based adhesive you should prime. However, if you've ever tried to remove a tile fixed with cement based addy from unprimed plasterboard you'll know its an impossible task. I've no experience of the Wickes board so don't feel I can comment sorry. I agree with above tho re. epoxy but still wouldn't recommend a diyer to use it.

Reply to Best grout for tiled shower over bath in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement