Search the forum,

Discuss Being played off against a fictional middle price? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Had a guy contact me through here for a travertine job.turns out he lives around the corner from me. Literally.

anywho I've said before on here I won't lower my prices but this time I think I may have to because this 'other guy' who has been doing it for 25 years and has priced cash. Now, I'm trying to build up a business here so I can obviously take over the world. I want it all to go through the books and have no karma biting me in the ***.

Its either drop my prices and then take the hit on the tax so I'm losing out twice or buy something for a grand I don't want. What would you say to the prospective customer!?

however I'm thinking this customer is made up to knock my price down. As I asked him if he would be polishing the edges up of using trim and sure enough he was! Also his list of materials I asked for to compare wasn't very extensive. Bloody Internet lol

STEVO

TF
Reaction score
Dont do it. If he only lives round corner why the he'll didn't he knock on or call ya first anyway! Let the other fella do it and **** it up, then he'll come knocking.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Get it all the time.....fictitious quotes. Old trick to try and get you to drop ya price.

Until you say, "I can't match that" then they change!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

What's wrong with cash? You still put all your work through your books and as its around the corner you can save hours travelling on the M25.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As TJ says........your saving money on a job just around the corner. :thumbsup:Sometimes these kind of jobs are handy.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
This other bloke was quoting cash to drop straight in his pocket. So, I have to match it if I want the job?

I'll said I'll do it for £100 more than his price. See what happens.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't know why some of you worry about a cash job, its all a game that we have to play, customers think they get a good cash deal , you can still put it through the books, ....you still need to get the price you want , but a small reduction for cash, if the price allows, makes the customer think they get a good deal.......its not against the law to accept cash for your work, as long as you put it through the books..

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
cash means no invoice, no invoice means no guarantee explain this

Guarantees are not really worth the paper they are wrote on,to be fair.
And IF anything goes wrong with our worki would like to think that if it is your/my fault we would fix it with or without a ' guarantee' being honest tradesmen as we all should be.
Cash is king ;)

Reply to Being played off against a fictional middle price? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen