Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bath Panel Board in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
What's the best way to make a bath panel that will be finished with 9mm thick porcelain tiles?
The bath only has room for a 6mm thick backer board to tile onto (18mm total clearance). I think 6mm ply would warp as the adhesive dries. No more ply would be ok but only comes in sheets 1200mm long but the bath is 1800mm.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Can you not make the panel proud and use flat edge tile trim to finish , this will allow a more substantial substrate.

If you use 6mm then the frame work uprights will need to be closer for support.

B

bureaucraz

The restricted space is at the top as the bath already has a wood under the rim. I think it may be possible to reinforce the panel along the middle but I want to keep it simple by using a stiff board instead of plywood but worry it may not be strong enough to support heavy tiles.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know what you mean , if you support it enough , the 6mm would suffice .
It's all in the deflection of the panel.

But a frame could be made independent of the wood under the bath edge and set this back to accommodate a thick board. This also depends on the framed leg structure of the bath supports .

Hope this helps,

Reaction score
6mm backerboard screwed to a wooden frame. Hardiebacker comes in 1200x800, but you will need an access panel for the taps.

So, it seems that no 6mm backerboard comes in a size greater than 1200mm?

I have seen clips that can be used to make the whole panel removable.
It looks like it will be necessary to make a panel from at least 2 pieces of backer board, reinforced at the back, apart from where the legs get in the way.

Might be possible to have 2 pices of backerboard with another piece glued onto the back holding them togethr like a sandwich?

Just seems pretty awkward compared with a single piece of board 1800mm long

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I took one out the other month which was constructed of 40mm cement board in one length. great idea and no need for a box frame, just some supports to sit against on the floor and side walls, assuming that the bath is enclosed against two walls. if you have a return to do, then some extra supports will be needed.

Reply to Bath Panel Board in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks