Search the forum,

Discuss Banana Shaped Tiles - and other issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Just finishing off a bathroom, and have found the following issues with some ceramic wall tiles the customer bought from B&Q. Now bear in mind that they bought several boxes of supposedly one design.

1. There are 2 different sheens. That is to say that some reflect more light than others.
  2. There are at least 2 different thicknesses. I found this out when I was laying them on the wall.
  3. The pattern on some is a shade darker than on the others.
  4. Some were banana shaped -I found this out when offering my level both vertically and horizontally whilst trying to level them out flat. The fact that I had little adhesive contact area in the middle of some tiles was a dead givaway.
Once I found out that there were discrete differences in the pattern contrast etc, I managed to tie this down to different backings. Hence I was able to split them up and fit different types on different walls etc.

I was partially successful in separating different types out but to be honest there were too many variations for me to be wholly successful.

The customer has been briefed of the problem, and is pleased with the job so far.

D

DHTiling

This happens because B&Q re-stack and mix different batches onto the same palletts..

Once a pallett of tiles starts to get low-ish they just stock it up with fresh box's not even thinking of checking batch numbers ....

Always been a problem with tiles from the DIY stores...

W

White Room

At least the customer is happy but aint it hard work trying to put scabby tiles on:mad2:

D

Daz

Hi Cornish,

Started a bathroom this week for a mate who bought bumpy whites from B&Q.

Problems have ranged from size & thickness variation, as well as shade variation - not seen any banana shaped ones yet though.

One box was motled grey so I just put that to one side :mad2:.

I always work with at least 3 open boxes, but when fixing B&Q I make a point of increasing that number because they are shocking.

I tell customers that the job will take longer when they say that it is B&Q tiles and explain why, so any money they think they have saved is blown on extra labour costs. If they go elsewhere, it's one less dull, stressful, disappointing job for me to have to put up with :grin: - there's too many nice jobs out there to be wasting my time fixing rubbish.

I hate working with cheap DIY store rubbish, leave it to the DIY'ers!

B

brian c

fixed these tiles the other week and the shading difference was not great to say the least.:mad2:

C

cornish_crofter

Ideally I would like to steer customers away from these sorts of tiles, but that is not always an option.

The hard fact is that people haven't got the readies to go for good quality tiles. I just try to do the best I can with what they provide. I've never yet come across something that I can't fit, but that Victoria Plumb shower cubicle was nearly a first.

F

fergie

had same problem with my mates bathroom 600 by 300 plain white from b&q size difference was 3mm from box to box ended up been a mess i have started turning jobs away that customers have bought tiles from there they are terrible

D

dougs65

used the white,bumpy 10x8's a few times aswell as size variation, sometimes my small wet wheel struggles to cut them, need to get the big cutter out.:mad2:

A

Alberta Stone

Was putting in slate today.
From India.
Called African Gold.
Had lots of bent pieces for me to enjoy.
Not only that but they were very out of square, size and thickness variations (and they were gauged) and had many fracture lines to contend with.

Attachments

• bent slate.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 22
T

tiler tom

I had a problem once with B & Q c**p. Quoted not knowing anything about the tiles but it came out later the guy was moving on and wanted his bathroom tidying up to sell on. So he had bought the cheapest tat he could lay his hands on. The tiles were so soft and chalky you could break then with your hands needless to say that any small cuts you usually use your cutter on had to be done with the wet cutter as otherwise the corner broke off. So a job took a lot longer than first thought. That wasn't the end of it. The guy left the window cill in after cutting the front edge flush and had it tiled. I then got a call back as the cill swelled and pushed the tiles off. I re fixed them left and ignored any calls until he did one to oz.

I now actively dissuade anybody from buying B & Q and tell people cills cannot be tiled over.

G

GazTech

20 years of self-empl...I only did one bathroom with a B&Q tile. The customer seemed happy to have a cheap tile, but it cost twice the labour to make it look half respectable, it was my first and last. With the best will in the world making a silk purse from a sow's ear.....not for me.......Gaz

L

LM Ceramics

only had one job from a customer who purchased B&q tiles the 600x600 polished porcelain what a nightmare from now on i will try and stay clear of any potential jobs where the customer had bought tiles from b&q

i did a full bathroom with b&q wall tiles the white matt finish as a side ob when i was working with a tiling firm needless to say i wasnt happy working with them

Reply to Banana Shaped Tiles - and other issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen