Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I’am down in your neck of the woods - London anyway - can’t be that far away!

Reaction score
That’s what I’m hoping for to be honest so o

The new bath is in and everything else due to be fitted back next weds after the plasterer coming on Tues.
The reason the plastering is being done while floor tiles are being fitted is because it’s the soonest I could get this particular person out he’s fully booked. He did some work at my mums house very clean tidy and good job and great reviews in general. I asked if I would need to delay floor tile he said no he tapes everything off and to be fair the floor was meant to be finished so good to walk on etc but yes I would of rather it was more organised

Be careful as plastering is ment to be left for 1-2 weeks for it to fully cure prior to tile.

I would recommend leaving it for a couple of days (no heating in room) and then use a heater after two days to insure it is fully dried out. If you use a heater or dehumidifier too soon the plaster will dry out to quick and crack!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, personally I would use another tiler. Make sure you are there for the prep work. Plaster needs a bit of prep prior to tile. It needs 'keyed' and bonded. Key is like a scratch coat to help the tiles stick. Also something to be aware of is that SBR bonding is used. Make sure it isn't PVA!!! if pva gets wet it, it reverts back to liquid form and you have problems.

Best of luck with your project.

OP
T

Tonysan

Sorry to hear about your plight people professing to be tilers bull rubbish best off word of mouth don’t know where your job is but if it’s close to Liverpool I’ll sort it

OP
C

Charlotte8787

Be careful as plastering is ment to be left for 1-2 weeks for it to fully cure prior to tile.

I would recommend leaving it for a couple of days (no heating in room) and then use a heater after two days to insure it is fully dried out. If you use a heater or dehumidifier too soon the plaster will dry out to quick and crack!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, personally I would use another tiler. Make sure you are there for the prep work. Plaster needs a bit of prep prior to tile. It needs 'keyed' and bonded. Key is like a scratch coat to help the tiles stick. Also something to be aware of is that SBR bonding is used. Make sure it isn't PVA!!! if pva gets wet it, it reverts back to liquid form and you have problems.

Best of luck with your project.

Thank you I’m sure in a few weeks I will be able to laugh about this. I’ve got a few people coming to quote to finish the job etc but as per usual haven’t been able to get hold of the current tiler to discuss the issues. Thanks for the advice on the plastering I’m in no hurry to tile or paint it will just be super happy something actually finished

OP
C

Charlotte8787

Sorry to hear about your plight people professing to be tilers bull rubbish best off word of mouth don’t know where your job is but if it’s close to Liverpool I’ll sort it

Ah thank you, but I’m a bit of a drive away. I’m sure it will get sorted if all else fails I will move haha

Reaction score
Hi Charlotte, this guy has treated you very badly and I'd advise you to jettison him and his rotten attitude and find someone else. When I was single and bought my first little house I had the runaround from several 'tradesmen' and it was so frustrating that I enrolled on a bricklaying course, found I enjoyed it and did my level 2,trained in tile, carried on and now have a HNC in construction! In hindsight maybe they did me a favour :) x

Reply to Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock