Search the forum,

Discuss Avoiding cracked tiles when transporting bathroom pods in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

leo_098

Hi,

I am designing a bathroom pod prototype for a job in india which is going to be displayed at an exhibition. Im a worried about wall and floor tile cracking during transport and wondered is there any way to best protect against this? The floor tiles are ceramic 600x600mm and the wall tiles ceramic 600x300mm.

I have sourced a adhesive called Laticrete which says it has excellent impact resistance but have no experience of this product and im guessing they all profess to this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Liam

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cracking won't occur due to impact it will occur due to flexing. If your unit is sufficiently rigid there is no reason to expect problems. I do a lot of work with modular builders and it is to an issue I come across at all.

T

trevortine

Bal single part fast flex, choice of grout mixed with gt1 to correct quantities.

L

leo_098

No peter, we are just a small design company at the moment, have they got a big contract over there? I see ur from belfast, im from there originally tho been living away in liverpool for 12 years.

P

Peter

Ah right, done the pods in McAvoys in Lisburn and Coalisland for about two years but there's another outfit doing it now. The pods were done with fermacell on the walls and epoxy adhesive on the steel floors, but on one particular job a lot of the floor tiles were damaged when they were put in place. Think a rubber crumb adhesive would be better for the floors although we never had any issue with breakages apart from that one job.

P

Perry

It depends on what substrates you have as Alan how solid they are then what adhesive you use IMO

L

leo_098

Its steel hollow section with marine ply board on it.

Would leaving off the grouting until it was transported to the exhibition make any difference?

P

Perry

Done quite a few steel stairs in shops with ply overlay 36mm thick as 2x18mm always used rubber crumb never had a problem in 20 years with it how thick is your ply and how is it fixed ?

L

leo_098

18mm + 12mm as need a different level for the wet room. Fixing will prob be Tek screws. The rubber crumb looks like it might be the product im after.

Had been looking at compriband strips top and bottom of the walls but this looks like it will allow slight movement at a local level.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Have tiled to steel before used Ardex epoxy adhesive cannot remember what it was called ,have even done ship steel floors there we used a coating of Evostick when tacky then used Bal flex two part.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I did the bathroom pods for the Olympic village a few years back. They we cast concrete walls with steel rods, fermacell walls and tiled with a standard SPF.

The pods were transported to Stratford by lorry and at their end there was a team to replace the odd tile which came off. This was down to bad fixing as they were picky with quality to within 1mm however you had to be super fast.

Make of this what you will.

Reply to Avoiding cracked tiles when transporting bathroom pods in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen