Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Applying primer - advice please :-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What does it to do gypsum, I've just applied a weak solution of granfix onto gypsum, and then a neat coat, will it ruin the gypsum plaster? will I need it replastering?
I need a whole new kitchen and I cannont afford one, here is a picture to show what I have done View attachment 88924
Prime it and tile it, don't worry. :)

Reaction score
Prime it and tile it, don't worry. :)
Thanks, what did the above poster mean when he said granfix reacts with gypsum?
I'm worried cos i am a leaseholder and there is a crawlspace behind the kitchen with timbers really close to the gypsum and I am worried the granfix will rot the gypsum and the timbers in the crawlspace and the timbers do not belong to me, I will be in breach of my lease and could get in to big trouble if I rot thier timbers or ruin the gypsum, cos I cannot afford to get it replastered, as there is loads of jobs needing doing in the kitchen, ie some other tiles are on top of blown plaster on the adjacant brick wall.
I plan to get some fix and grout from screwfix to put the tiles back on. thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Cement and plaster don't mix. It creates a chemical reaction. So as long as you prime it, to create a barrier, and tile it, it's fine.

Or used a tubbed / dispersion adhesive and go straight over it, as that doesn't have cement in.

Don't buy the adhesive and grout all in one though.

Reaction score
Cement and plaster don't mix. It creates a chemical reaction. So as long as you prime it, to create a barrier, and tile it, it's fine.

Or used a tubbed / dispersion adhesive and go straight over it, as that doesn't have cement in.

Don't buy the adhesive and grout all in one though.
will this stuff do http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-wat...-1-5kg/64982?dclid=CKars_Se69ICFYxFGwodw3oGng
If not, what should I buy, can you link me to a product that I can use? thanks
Need to do it as quickly as possible cos i cannot use my kitchen without tiles.
I already put the weak primer on, then before it dried I put a neat coat on, granfix.
I just need to know what product to buy, cos I have never tiled before and I don't know if i can use my kitchen without the tiles. thanks
Is there a tub of ready mixed stuff that I can use. if so, could you post a link to one i can order as i am housebound. Can I use my kitchen in the meantime?
what type of chemical reaction does it do, is it explosive, or can it ruin the plaster or rot the timber underneath?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's just the three tiles you're fixing, sure, that should suffice. To be honest adhesive and grout combined is neither brilliant as an adhesive or a grout. They kinda have to try and get it to do two things. Fix the tiles with it, put the lid back on, don't let it skin over in the tub. Then wait the correct time and use it as a grout but try not to smear it all over the tiles, just try and get the joints. Use a wet sponge to sponge it to a neat finish quite quickly. The moment it starts to dry it becomes a pain in the bum to grout with.

Reaction score
If it's just the three tiles you're fixing, sure, that should suffice. To be honest adhesive and grout combined is neither brilliant as an adhesive or a grout. They kinda have to try and get it to do two things. Fix the tiles with it, put the lid back on, don't let it skin over in the tub. Then wait the correct time and use it as a grout but try not to smear it all over the tiles, just try and get the joints. Use a wet sponge to sponge it to a neat finish quite quickly. The moment it starts to dry it becomes a pain in the bum to grout with.
Can you recommend me a product or products to use, as I am too worried to use the mapei now what you have said as I am not confident.
Or, shall i fix the tiles to the walls with the mapei stuff combined adhestive and grout?
Then, can you recommend a grout that I can use, sorry to be a pain but do you have a link to one that I could use,i am in the uk and housebound. I prefer one in a tub, as I only have the three tiles,
PS how do i stop it skinning over in the tub, as this sometimes happens with products even though you put the lid on.thanks

Reaction score
Can you recommend me a product or products to use, as I am too worried to use the mapei now what you have said as I am not confident.
Or, shall i fix the tiles to the walls with the mapei stuff combined adhestive and grout?
Then, can you recommend a grout that I can use, sorry to be a pain but do you have a link to one that I could use,i am in the uk and housebound. I prefer one in a tub, as I only have the three tiles,
PS how do i stop it skinning over in the tub, as this sometimes happens with products even though you put the lid on.thanks

As it is only a patching job and its a rental (your landlord may actually be liable depending what caused the damage!) I would say a fix and grout will do the job (yes please don't shoot me but it is only a little patch job!). To stop it skinning over try a layer of cling film as soon as you have finished using and then replace the lid creating a second barrier layer, just make sure the cling film is directly on the adhesive/grout mix.

Reaction score
hi, problem sorted, got evo stick for tiles, theyre stuck to the walls more firmly than ever now, gonna grout them when grout float comes on saturday, all is well, thanks everyone, for your help and input, much appreciated.

Reply to Applying primer - advice please :-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks