Discuss Advise- Damp looking patches on new Limestone in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

yetirider

Last question if I may

Do I give this any chance of drying out or just get it off ASAP?

Sorry 2nd question

Does this also trash my marmox or will it be OK if i'm careful.

I'm off to the pub now to sulk and think.....

Cheers Phil

D

DHTiling

Hi Phil..

was it fast set or slow set..?

The main thing is, it is a white limestone and can stain quite easy and those wet patches cold well just stay like that.. the waiting game is yours but the longer it is left the more tensile strength the adhesive gains.. but if they are stained then they are no good now anyway..

T

The D

i think if it is rapid set the Marmox will be no good you may have to replace the lot. it may be a good idea to dip the new stone. that is to fully immerse the stone in a sealer this will eliminate any chance of staining from the back and also the sides. if the stone is that porous it may be vulnerable to staining from the grout but if you dip the stone this will not happen.* * *

Y

yetirider

The addy has a 4 hr set on the bag, first tiles have been on since Wednesday and stil have marks.

Y

yetirider

The current position is we have agreed its been installed incorrectly.
The tiler is currently removing the affected tiles.
The tiler has been released from completing the job.

I guess the next move is to identify someone to correct the work, for me I would like a review
of what is left on the wall to agree if new fitter is happy with the workmanship.

If not rip t all off and start again.

The next question is does anyone know the right person to complete the job?
Its about 10sq mts located in Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire.

Large volumes of tea will be supplied.

I would welcome help from the forum community to turn this into the dream bathroom we wanted.

Many thanks to all those who offered advise.

Cheers Phil

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive seen some of the forum members works so if you get one of them at least you will have a appier ending. Hope you get sorted.

S

Stonehouse

Hi,

You only get these markings from dot and dabbing and excessive adhesive beds, the chances are they wont dry out and if they do you will have shadow lines or some staining in the tile.

If you were recommended the tilers from the company you brought the tiles from then I would go back to them and ask for assistance and possible replacement tiles if they dont dry out. You should be given this sort of information about the pitfalls of using light coloured natural stones by the seller.

We see this sort of problem all the time and it makes me sad, in the long run it puts people off using natural materials because the end user has unncessary bad experiences.

Come on retailers educate the tilers who come through the door and explain the pitfalls to your clients.

Y

yetirider

Well here is is, old removed by tiler and he has agreed to pay the material costs.
Also left the material's to complete the floor.

Although its gone wrong to his credit he was more upset than I was and understood when I said
I was going to get a true stone fitter.

gone wrong.jpg

D

DHTiling

The current position is we have agreed its been installed incorrectly.
The tiler is currently removing the affected tiles.
The tiler has been released from completing the job.

I guess the next move is to identify someone to correct the work, for me I would like a review
of what is left on the wall to agree if new fitter is happy with the workmanship.

If not rip t all off and start again.

The next question is does anyone know the right person to complete the job?

Its about 10sq mts located in Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire.

Large volumes of tea will be supplied.

I would welcome help from the forum community to turn this into the dream bathroom we wanted.

Many thanks to all those who offered advise.

Cheers Phil

Pm this member... View Profile: Bri - tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum

Y

yetirider

To his credit the guy refunded me in full for all materials, skip and SDS drill with an apology.
I gave him back the SDS Drill and tile bit as I have no use for it.
I now have a recommended fitter coming in from Mandarin Stone.

Cheers Phil

D

Dave Ramsden

Back skimming tiles does not resolve this problem it only allows the mix used to adhere properly much like when you follow the instructions for superglue.
Another tiler has had this problem before and seemed to solve it by scrubbing the lot down with a water/tile acid mix. I cant remember the type of acid used but he sprayed it onto the tile surface and used emulsifying pads to scrub the lot down which eventually eradicated the marks.
This may or may not work on your project but its something you may want to keep in mind for later down the line.

Reply to Advise- Damp looking patches on new Limestone in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay