Discuss Advise- Damp looking patches on new Limestone in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Y

yetirider

Hi All

Tiller has just finished fitting 10mm honed limestone onto marmox boards.
A 4hr dry white addy was used but 24hrs latter we can see damp looking patches.
The addy is topps trade single part mix, it does say for stone on bag.
below is a link to the stone used
Classic Flax Mix Honed Limestone Stone

I've seen a few posts on here that suggest this is a start again job.

My question is, are these marks likely to dry out over a period of time, or can
we use a product to remove it?

Stone has not you been sealed, tilers has not had this issue with stone before,
ans we are a bit unsure how to proceed other than to leave it for a period and
see what happens.

I just thought i'd ask the question to get some advise.

Cheers Phil

G

Gazzer

Did you see the method used to fix this tiles, "Damp patches" seem to say he has used dot and dab method but photos would help.

Y

yetirider

IMG_20110929_174854.jpg IMG_20110929_174913.jpg

G

Gazzer

Dot and dabbed by the looks. Now while it may dry out it is not an approved method of fixing by any adhesive manufacturer. All those voids behind the tiles ?? Not good is it ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Dot and dab if ever i saw it. Might dry out but mightntake a long time. Might also fall off the wall but might not. Hope you havent paid for it yet

D

DHTiling

Dot and Dabbed.. IMO that is nacked... White limestone needs to be back skimmed to get and even shading from adhesive wetting..and solid bed fixed to prevent shadowing like that..

This is the type of fixer we have to compete with.. bing bang bosh , in and out.. not got a clue how to fix stone..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a real shame that. Tiler's cut the wrong corner there, made the job useless.

For the record, not only are you not meant to 'dot and dab' stone, you're not meant to 'dot and dab' any tile. So this "tiler" probably does this on every job if he does it on the stone ones too.

Not a tiler that has been taught tiling by somebody else they wouldn't be doing it.

W

White Room

Quote; tilers has not had this issue with stone before.

If has dot and dabbed on your job then he has done many times before....so frustrating.

Reaction score
like dave says this is what we are up against, amatures botching jobs for a quick buck.

all off and start again with a decent tiler, the guy who did this is not up to the job, and owes you for the ruined stone.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above dot and dabbed again, these idiots are taking work off real tilers:mad2:

Y

yetirider

Looks like I need a beer and some thinking time, can't see any point doing the floor until the walls are right.

Cheers Phil

D

DHTiling

Looks like I need a beer and some thinking time, can't see any point doing the floor until the walls are right.

Cheers Phil

Please do let us know how it goes.. i know it wasn't what you wanted to hear but the market place is full of this type of tradesman..

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

My worry with this type of fixing is why dot and dab, if the walls are bad, prep the walls. I dread to think what thickness of adhesive was used, most single parts have a max of 10mm. Looks to me like you got 30%/40% coverage, with a heavy tile that is not good enough. Sorry for your dilemma, hope you get it sorted.

Reply to Advise- Damp looking patches on new Limestone in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks