Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Required. Door Threshold For Tile To (probably) Timber But Unknown Height. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TheNamek

Bit stumped on this one. Just about finished tiling bathroom. However, the corridor floor is yet to be done and, therefore, finished height is unknown. It's probably going to be a floating timber floor but materials have yet to be bought. Any suggestions on how to finish the threshold? I don't want to leave it until the corridor is done in case of damage to the tiles by the door. I suppose I could finish it with an inverted U shaped listello but that would cause complications finishing the corridor floor...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything there if it's not going to be perfect. Perhaps screw a shaped bit of timber to the floor for now and tell them to sort it out when they fit the other flooring.

You can't mess about too much!

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would of finished with a bit of square edge trim to protect the edge, most thresholds would go over the top of the tile afterwards anyway, so you wouldn't see it when other floor is finished.

J

Just Rizzle

I would of finished with a bit of square edge trim to protect the edge, most thresholds would go over the top of the tile afterwards anyway, so you wouldn't see it when other floor is finished.
same as above but I put it so when the door is closed the trim is half way under the door then a flat or ramp strip can be fitted if needed

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
More professional than my reply of leaving it there! haha

Go with their options.

T

TheNamek

Thanks for input. Pretty much what I was gonna do. I generally don't like the idea of tiled in (as in under the tiles) trims/thresholds, which are fine until the floors need fettling. It's not exactly like lifting up a bit of carpet eh?! :D

T

TheNamek

Right, no sleep brain in operation here! Got this piece of slim stainless trim left and am thinking of using it as the threshold finish. 12mm tall and so slim that it can be subsequently covered or ramped over as required. Anybody see any issues??

Attachments

• 20150529_111552~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude you're overthinking this. If the other floor isn't there you're not making a transition from one to the other by definition.

The last floor to go in has the job of making the transition.

Just finish it off with something that looks alright, and make the customer know that without knowing the final height of the flooring that doesn't exist yet you can't connect to it.

That said, the pic looks alright.

T

TheNamek

Customer is my Mum n Dad :sweatsmile: so I'm sure I'll be wrong whatever I do! And guess who gets to do the other floor?!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ohhhh okay well stop bothering about it and get on with the other floor sunshine! What are you delaying it for?!?!?

You should also know the height of it then I guess?

Come on. Chop chop.

T

TheNamek

They don't know what they want. I certainly don't know what they want. Only thing I know is it'll probably be wrong anyway so damned if I do... :sweat:

O

Old Mod

Schluter do a profile that adjusts to different heights. Can't member off hand what it's called but can find out later. Basically u fit it to tile side and there's an adjustable side that can move depending on floor covering. I think! Haha but something along those lines does exist, Schluter are a bit like Rainsco, they do it all! Haha
Where is he anyway?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You could also just use one of those flattish lengths that you cut down and simply screw the thing to the floor. You can unscrew that then to fit the other floor and hopefully screw it back down again after.

T

Taylormade

I would make a temp one until the rest is laid. Fortunately I make all my own timber thresholds as I have the kit to do so. Mate supplies me with off cuts of various hard woods so I can knock one up made to measure in 15 mins and charge a decent amount for it.

Reply to Advice Required. Door Threshold For Tile To (probably) Timber But Unknown Height. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks