Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice please on fitting Marmox boards in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided to use these in the shower area of my bathroom refurbishment. First, a couple of photos to show the extent of the area to be boarded:
20200222_173611.jpg

20200222_173545.jpg

Ignore the pipes on the breeze block wall. These were used for the old shower, as was the waste pipe. The pipes and wood supporting them will be removed. The copper pipe in the floor will need to be re-routed as it runs exactly where the shower waste will sit - typical!

Having performed lots of research and taking advice from the tiler who quoted for tile the bathroom, I have decided to use Marmox boards to board out this area. I plan to use 5 sheets of 1250 x 600 x 12.5 boards for the stud partition wall and use metal washers and zinc coated screws to fit them.

The breeze block wall is a little more difficult, in that the boards will be butting up against the existing plasterboard and this varies from 22mm to 27mm off the wall (front of skimmed plasterboard to wall surface). The existing plasterboard is 12mm thick, so it is the dabs that cause this variance. I plan to use 4 sheets of 1250 x 600 x 20mm boards and use the dab and dowel technique to fix them i.e. drill the board in 5 places (each corner and centre) then dab https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the back over the drill holes and press to wall. I will use the thickness of the dabs to match the existing plasterboard levels. When dry use 60mm dowels to mechanically fix after drilling through existing holes. I plan to place each board horizontally; one on top of the other, so each board will be cut at around 1000mm.

A few questions:

1. Should I use 60mm dowels or 90mm dowels?

2. Any advice on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use? I believe it has to be cement based flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (C2)?

3. While Marmox sell 10 metre rolls of self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, waterproof tape, it seems to be VERY expensive (around £41 per roll and I need two!). Is there any reason why I couldn't use liberally applied DOW silicon in the joints between boards instead of the tape?

4. What would you recommend for waterproofing between wall and top of shower tray? I was thinking the Marmox waterproof tape could be used, but again, this seems expensive for what it is!

5. How should I transition between the Marmox board and existing plasterboard? On the stud wall, the board will be fitted to the very left hand edge of the wall, resulting in an external corner. Does this need to be protected or taped in any way. The right hand side of the breeze block wall is not as bad, but there will still be a external edge along the window reveal.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to fully understand what I require before placing an order for everything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Having used the Plumbers Forums, this is the first time I have posted on Tilers Forums and I confess I'm disappointed at the lack of help I've received, so I'll update this post myself now that I have made some progress.

My questions were:

1. Should I use 60mm dowels or 90mm dowels?
I will be using 60mm dowels.

2. Any advice on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use? I believe it has to be cement based flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (C2)?
I purchased some Ultra Tile Fix Pro Flex SP flex Rapid Set Wall & Floor https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ S1 in grey as this was recommended by the company I purchased the Marmox boards from.

3. While Marmox sell 10 metre rolls of self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, waterproof tape, it seems to be VERY expensive (around £41 per roll and I need two!). Is there any reason why I couldn't use liberally applied DOW silicon in the joints between boards instead of the tape?

Having spoken to Marmox they explained that the silicon may shrink so wouldn't be as waterproof as the tape. Rather than purchasing the expensive Marmox brand I purchased a 20m trade roll of Aquafix Self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ waterproof tape. This is also a butyl type tape and costs half the price of the Marmox brand and appears to look the same (from images).

4. What would you recommend for waterproofing between wall and top of shower tray? I was thinking the Marmox waterproof tape could be used, but again, this seems expensive for what it is!

I have sufficient tape to use this to waterproof the shower tray to wall joint as well as all the multiboard joints.

5. How should I transition between the Marmox board and existing plasterboard? On the stud wall, the board will be fitted to the very left hand edge of the wall, resulting in an external corner. Does this need to be protected or taped in any way. The right hand side of the breeze block wall is not as bad, but there will still be a external edge along the window reveal.

Still not sure how I'll do this, but I have a choice between using the DOW silicon and/or the waterproof tape. I'll see how it goes and then check with the tiler before he starts.

Again, thanks for the feedback. NOT!

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry we haven't all jumped to your attention while having other issues going on in our lives.

While on the phone to marmox you could have had all your questions answered. Your snide reply and note at the bottom certainly won't get you any advice from me 🖕

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I concur.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that wasn't difficult was it?

It's a shame you couldn't have done that sooner with something more positive.

Don't blame your inaction on Coronavirus, where all in a similar situation, but life goes on.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What a mahoosive Tool. Just because people don’t jump to attention, you throw your toys out, and then wonder why.

Jog On. 🤨

OP
M
Reaction score
What a mahoosive Tool. Just because people don’t jump to attention, you throw your toys out, and then wonder why.

Jog On. 🤨

Thanks for your contribution CJ, although not very constructive it's good to know there are a few people using this Tilers Forum. It would have been better if you had provided some useful information earlier in the week, but at least you've now made the effort to type a few words. I especially like the word "mahoosive" :)

I confess, I hadn't appreciated tilers had such delicate feelings when I posted in frustration at the lack of a response. Not that it really matters as I've had some very positive feedback from a plumbing forum. I guess plumbers aren't as shy as tilers! It was the plumbing forum that suggested a tile forum might be a useful place to ask this type of question. Obviously they were wrong!

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well, as I’m sure you’ll appreciate, at the moment people have a lot of other things to worry about, so in the scheme of things, getting snotty because you don’t receive “immediate” attention, is a bit OTT

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Having seen your thread of Plumbers Forum you didn't get arsey when it took days for folk to reply there, so why here? And especially in the middle of what the current situation is?

Our advice is free, don't feel that we are obliged to rush and give you it.

Good luck with your project. NOT!

P

Perfect Tiling

We all get customers who are arse's guy's. This arse seem's to do a lot of research then complains because its going to cost him so much. I pity the tiler that he get's in to do the job...unless he decides to save some money and do it on his own...in which case I wish him well...hopefully the tiles will fall off and cause major issues for him. If this causes offence to him....I sincerely appologise....NOT

Reaction score
If you thought people on this forum were unhelpful, you want to go ask a question on the plasterers forum 😂.

The guys and gals on here are top notch from what I have seen 👌.

pink

-
Reaction score
We all get customers who are arse's guy's. This arse seem's to do a lot of research then complains because its going to cost him so much. I pity the tiler that he get's in to do the job...unless he decides to save some money and do it on his own...in which case I wish him well...hopefully the tiles will fall off and cause major issues for him. If this causes offence to him....I sincerely appologise....NOT
i think he should try car sales man next

Reply to Advice please on fitting Marmox boards in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock