Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice on cutting 600x600 polished porcelian in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

rudimm

im laying porcelain down in pretty much the whole of a 2 bedroom flat meaning 2 bedrooms, hallway and living/kitchen.

Now what would the experienced tilers advice me on using as i was thinking of getting a wet cutter ( Erbauer ERB180C ) from screwfix for 49.00.
thing is the tiles are 600x600 and that table size is only 400x400
it doesnt take einstein to realise that the tiles will be awkward to be cut on that size table so WOULD ANY ONE RECCOMEND GETTING good cuts from
a angle grinder with obviously a diamond disc fitted?

any advice would be much apreciated.
:smilewinkgrin:

B

brian c

get yourself a dry cutter or hire one for a few days for the cuts only once you have fixed the field tiles.:thumbsup:Grinder would be ok if the edges will be hidden by skirting board.(exercise health and safety with the grinder.Use eye and feet protection and make sure the worksurface you are cutting tile on is steady.Try using a couple of clamps to keep tile positioned.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Yep, agree with Brian, also, I hope your floors are nice and level it will make a big difference, what substrate are you fixing to and have you primed ?

R

rudimm

so you would recomend a dry cutter to a wet one? i will go for that then.
any suggestion on a dry cutter under about £50.00 that i can use more than once.
the porcelain is 10ml thick

i will be fixing them to concrete, but i will make sure they are level as it will be a new built flat on the top floor ( second floor ) so im hoping it will be flat otherwise il have to dig out some more money for self leveling.il have to go round and personally make sure they have the floors level,and i will also make sure its bone dry before i fix them.

alan when you say have i primed, im just checking but do i prime concrete?
:thumbsup:

R

rudimm

also brian i wont be laying the tiles under the skirting board so i assume they wont be hidden then? will i need a sealant next to the skirting boards instead of grout?

D

doug boardley

so you would recomend a dry cutter to a wet one? i will go for that then.
any suggestion on a dry cutter under about £50.00 that i can use more than once.
the porcelain is 10ml thick

i will be fixing them to concrete, but i will make sure they are level as it will be a new built flat on the top floor ( second floor ) so im hoping it will be flat otherwise il have to dig out some more money for self leveling.il have to go round and personally make sure they have the floors level,and i will also make sure its bone dry before i fix them.

Car boot sale? :lol:

D

doug boardley

also brian i wont be laying the tiles under the skirting board so i assume they wont be hidden then? will i need a sealant next to the skirting boards instead of grout?
I would, altho' I'd prefer to tile under the skirting boards

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
so you would recomend a dry cutter to a wet one?

You will need either both a wet and dry or a dry cutter and an angle grinder with diamond blade.

Yes, the concrete will as you say, have to be bone dry, then you'll need a decent primer, not PVA.

I would, altho' I'd prefer to tile under the skirting boards

If it's a new build, as Brian says, better off under the skirting, that way you have all the expansion space and a tidier finish IMHO, any chance you can get it left off ?

R

rudimm

ive got an angle grinder with a diamond blade, think i will have to hire a decent dry cutter.thing is it will have to be able to cut 600x600 tiles wouldnt it.
alan thats a good idea i will see if i can them left off, makes it easier for me.
what sort of primer would you recomend alan?
thanks for the advice

R

rudimm

Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer 1kg

http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/brandimages/MAPEI_r.gif http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/spacer.gif​

1kg. Water-based synthetic resin primer. For use with cement-based tile adhesives in priming plaster surfaces and consolidating dusty floors.

would that be any good?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
ive got an angle grinder with a diamond blade, think i will have to hire a decent dry cutter.thing is it will have to be able to cut 600x600 tiles wouldnt it.
alan thats a good idea i will see if i can them left off, makes it easier for me.
what sort of primer would you recomend alan?
thanks for the advice

Unfortunately it's the size of the tile that's gonna cause you grief, like you say, hire one for a while after all the main body is in, as for a primer, just an acrylic primer, weak solution, give the floor a good sweep / dusting down first, all your looking to do is seal any dust in.

Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer 1kg

http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/brandimages/MAPEI_r.gif http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/spacer.gif​

1kg. Water-based synthetic resin primer. For use with cement-based tile adhesives in priming plaster surfaces and consolidating dusty floors.

would that be any good?

Never used it.

Last edited:
A

Aztectiler

Def dry cutter for speed and ease.

CTD will hire you truly fantastic RUBI cutter by the day. Call your local branch and they should be able to accomadate you with very little effort.

Reply to Advice on cutting 600x600 polished porcelian in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks