Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice Needed on cutting finish in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
M

Mucker

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi - need some advice. Got a tiler doing a bathroom job for me which includes alcoves/niches. I've purchased and supplied the tiles myself which are from the Verona Stone group, but in my opinion a lot of the cutting work seems poor. Hopefully you can see from trt photo, but a lot of the cuts are all serrated and chipped all along the cut. Strange thing is that some cuts are perfectly clean and straight whereas others have come out jagged and chipped, but has already installed them. He's mentioned a few times that the tiles are poor and all 2nds, but the tiles are all properly boxed and I've contacted manufacturer and they said they never sell seconds.
The tiles themselves are glazed porcelain and 10mm thick according to specs. I know nothing about tile, but could it be a case of not cutting them properly with the right tools?
Hopefully someone can make out the detail on photo- but any thoughts?

IMG_20180528_140758.jpg

OP
M

Mucker

Thanks for the reply. Yeah lots of the cuts look like this and none of the trims are mitred.

OP
T

Tile Shop

Trims aside, chipping happens to everyone at some point, and there are several reasons why it does. They've used and angle grinder or wet cutter with either the incorrect blade for the tile type, or a new blade that hadn't been "run in", or they've forced the cut rather than let the machine do the work. Could even be an "over-fired" tile but chances are slim and he may just be looking for an excuse. They've also overshot with the cut by a couple of mm.

But a quick going over with a hand polishing pad, file or rubbing block could have tidied that edge up. just needed a bit more care and attention to detail and it wouldn't have looked anywhere near as bad.

OP
T

Tile Shop

Yes they do..... but it should be printed on the boxes and also sold by the reseller as second quality. This tile may meet or exceed all the minimum requirements to pass BSEN14411 and therefore "first quality". Just because the tiler can't cut tiles properly doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the tile, he's just crap!

Reaction score
It's like he couldn't be bothered to finish the job properly, it makes me cringe when the trim isn't mitred. Like you say Paul C., a bit of extra attention to the tile edges (or just cutting them properly in the first place) would have made a huge difference to the finished result.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I agree with @anne_mutens - I’ve been in a few tile shops that sell 1st quality travertine that obviously are not!
Also BCT tiles have all the manufacturers certificates but are clearly not even 2nd quality.

OP
M

Mucker

Hi All
As a follow up, we've asked tiler to redo the cuts (using a wet saw which for some of the tiles he didn't use previously) and to redo the trim work with what we wanted in the first place of standard white beading and to mitre the joints. Unfortunately looks like it's gone backwards in terms of quality!
Personally I think this now looks even worse, and looks to have even less care and attention. Once again - am I being too picky and harsh on this? I know that it's not grouted yet, but I'm thinking that possibly no amount of grouting can turn this into an "impressive" finish. Any thoughts?

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpeg image9.jpeg

OP
L

LM

Hi All
As a follow up, we've asked tiler to redo the cuts (using a wet saw which for some of the tiles he didn't use previously) and to redo the trim work with what we wanted in the first place of standard white beading and to mitre the joints. Unfortunately looks like it's gone backwards in terms of quality!
Personally I think this now looks even worse, and looks to have even less care and attention. Once again - am I being too picky and harsh on this? I know that it's not grouted yet, but I'm thinking that possibly no amount of grouting can turn this into an "impressive" finish. Any thoughts?

View attachment 99084 View attachment 99085 View attachment 99086 View attachment 99087 View attachment 99088 View attachment 99089 View attachment 99090 View attachment 99091 View attachment 99092
That’s a total mess and the guy that did it is a disgrace! Wasters that leave work like that can be found in all trades. It’s simply not acceptable.

OP
M

Mucker

Admittedly he hasn't finished yet, and there's still the grouting to do - but from the looks of it nothing would fix that and leave a good finish. I think might get him to simply stop all work on it whilst I can have a think of how best to proceed..

Reaction score
Is this the same person? It looks like someone with no tile knowledge has gone in and made it worse, appalling! Grouting could not possibly hide all those errors Mucker, stop him now.

OP
I

Italy

I thought I saw almost everything in life ...
I'm too old to see these pictures ...
are we sure it's a tiler?
I'm very sorry for your bathroom. :(

Reply to Advice Needed on cutting finish in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock