Discuss Advertising in Thomson local in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cjones

HI ALL

Had a rep from thomson come round to try an sell me an advertising package, he was a good salesman and claimed all sorts and reckoned at the least ide get four calls a month from it. I'm sceptical and i'm sure some of you already advertise in thomson,

so is it any good?

U

Ultimate Tiling

I've just spent £940 with thompson.
Good salesman cos when we came around I only intended to have a little ad in their!
Endes up with a website and everything.

C

cjones

well for what i wanted originally the salesman quoted £1500-£1600. But after a bit of choping and changeing he said £750.

T

tiler burden

if you are going to use one of the directories then simply use the one thats mostly read ie yellow pages

or another angle would be to get a website built for around 500 quid and use yell.com for around 365 with a couple of surrounding areas....try and imagine or uses the internet for work and who uses a directory??

G

grumpygrouter

Seems a lot of money to me. I am sure it could be better spent driving around conservatory companies, builders plumbers etc. Then at least you can speak to peple face to face.

With directories such as these there is no guarantee of any repsonse!

T

tiler burden

its weird isnt it bri,

3 years ago i spent 2k on a largish ad in yellow pages....got 2 calls over 2 years

last year i did the above and got 38 calls in the year of which i got 11 jobs out of. i suppose its all abit hit and miss really. the only good thing about using one of the books is that you look reputable and established over a period of time. its a reference point for people to locate you also...i suppose you have to go with wohat works best for the individual..

ed

C

charlie1

I've just spent £940 with thompson.
Good salesman cos when we came around I only intended to have a little ad in their!
Endes up with a website and everything.

Hi UT,

£940 seems a lot to be spending at the start of your carreer. Have you persued all free options first ie business cards, flyers and sign written van, I know there is an initial outlay for this but I would make sure I had done all this first before parting with that kind of money in the early days.

£78 pm seeems a lot mate considering it would need to bring you 1-2 enquieres pm to be worth while.

Do you get many enquieres from your add mate?

C

cjones

i agree it is exspensive for what is essentially a gamble.
However im looking to break into the bathroom refit market in a different area,
and i think this maybe the way to do it .

cheers

U

Ultimate Tiling

Hi UT,

£940 seems a lot to be spending at the start of your carreer. Have you persued all free options first ie business cards, flyers and sign written van, I know there is an initial outlay for this but I would make sure I had done all this first before parting with that kind of money in the early days.

£78 pm seeems a lot mate considering it would need to bring you 1-2 enquieres pm to be worth while.

Do you get many enquieres from your add mate?

It is expensive but that includes a pro website which they are going to build and all the google credits ect.
I am also doing the free stuff as i get time.
That should cover most of my online advertising because of google and thompson.co.uk

I'll keep records of where my enquirys come from and review it next year.

The salesman also said if it doesn't work I get gthe same amount of moneys worth to spend next year with thompson as well.

R

robbo

As Grumpy pointed out speaking to other trades sparkies, plumbers and general builders etc) and getting your name about like that can be really valuable, i get a lot of work through other trades recommending me and i do likewise for them..

C

CLAYS TILES

well for what i wanted originally the salesman quoted £1500-£1600. But after a bit of choping and changeing he said £750.
ru sure he was from thompson local??
the new book is out this month so be careful!
i've paid £200 for my advert,i'm sure the dearest was £495!
ru sure you've not been conned or was it yellow pages?? that can cost upto £1500 for the year:huh2:

A

ad tiling

if you have a free ad with yell.com you should get a free line in the book
when the next copy is due for print they will phone and phone and phone again to make your ad bigger for a price, then wait, haggle (150 in the bag)

C

cjones

My name is already out there with other trades and i get a constant flow of work through word of mouth,

however i would like to be doing whole bathroom refits and the only way of doing this is to get directly in contact with customers and to do this I think advertising is essential.

Thanks for your comments

Reply to Advertising in Thomson local in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay