Discuss 72mm hole cutter anyone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Noitavonni

Hi, I'm quoting a client tonight and he's emailed me asking if I can cut a 72mm hole in his porcelain tiles. Can you help please? On 365drills I can see 70&75mm, I might have to check if there is a rebate on the light?
Thanks
www.noitavonni.co.uk

H

hillhead

Yeah id check first.he may have 72mm inner and 80 outer or something.which would leave you better options.

D

DHTiling

You can use the 70mm and rock the hole cutter side to side as you drill and it will be about 72mm, and also you can ream the hole out with the hole cutter to exact size...quite easy really...:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

As Dave says just use the 70mm and open out the hole a few mm

70mm.jpg

Full project details can be read here

Basically:

1) Use the 70mm to make a hole

9.jpg

(Picture shows 80mm but principle is the same)

11.jpg

A perfect 70mm hole has formed

25.jpg

Ream out the hole with the side of the drill
30.jpg

Fit LED into hole...

Take things easy and you should have a perfect result

18.jpg

Most lights do have a recess or cover plate to hide the hole so doesnt have to be too perfect...

D

Deleted member 1779

Yes contact us direct if you need any advice.

One final thought....

On this project we did spend a LONG TIME honing out the tile to fit the lugs of the LED's

14.jpg

The smarter way to have done this project would have been to have cut off the PLASTIC LUGS with a stanley knife rather than to grind out the tile.

19.jpg

We actually spent too long honing the tile to fit the light. When really we could have made the light fit the hole...

31.jpg

Note to self: (Next time cut the lugs off !)
Not saying that its applicable in your case - but if you can benefit from our experience then it might save you a lot of grief? (Or others reading this post....)

!

D

Deleted member 1779

If accuracy is important to you - a holesaw will give you more control.

13.jpg

Result of drilling with a core: (hole shown 80mm)

However pjc is right - A diamond blade and a pair of nibblers would incur less cost.

The 70mm retails at £39+vat (Forum members get additional extra discount off this) and then its a case of working out how many holes you need in total. If you have 10 x LED lights to fit then I would suggest it will be easier to drill the tile.

Reply to 72mm hole cutter anyone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I hope you can help we are trying to source (for a match) some 300mm by 300mm matte white taco...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay