Search the forum,

Discuss 70m2 Floor, 2 substrates, Ditra and Hardie? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

How big is the area with the caber floor? Is there a possibility of filling it in? To prevent any bounce as that is where your going to coma across with problems
How do you mean as there is ufh under timber . Do you mean take out floor and screed

D

Dumbo

Yes thatnis what I was trying to say but without pictures it’s hard to gauge, maybe pump a liquid screed ?
It would be hard as you would have to get a Dpm in there . I would say remove flooring , joists and ufh before digging out then starting to put things back together .

C

clipboard2008

The underfloor heating is already installed by the builder between the joists. It is set in a tray which is then filled with screed to transfer heat. It's quite popular as it allows you to put underfloor heating on second floors. This is obviously a ground floor.
Certainly can't fill underneath the caber flooring.
My plan is to hardie backer the floor then ditra matt it. I know it's a costly option but it's the only way I can see of ensure it's stable enough so it doesn't crack?

D

Dumbo

The underfloor heating is already installed by the builder between the joists. It is set in a tray which is then filled with screed to transfer heat. It's quite popular as it allows you to put underfloor heating on second floors. This is obviously a ground floor.
My plan is to hardie backer the floor then ditra matt it. I know it's a costly option but it's the only way I can see of ensure it's stable enough so it doesn't crack?
I wonder how many builders get structural engineers calculations on that before loading the joists up with screed

S

Spare Tool

The problem you've got here is no...or should I say not many ;) tilers on here will give you advise to just uncouple and tile over two substrates without following the joint directly through into the tiles, had this dilemma with customers before and tiles have cracked (I told em so :)) then again some haven't.
I've used silicone to adhere tiles across a joint before on a job that had cracked to remedy and it worked , used marmox boards plus a crackmatt only this year as a customer didn't want a dodgy shaped concrete to wood expansion joint in her floor and up to now its been fine, there is no defining answer, you won't get any guarantees off anyone unless you do it by the book, otherwise its a gamble and I'm afraid your stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score

If there is access and enough space in the sub-floor area, you could add beams or other support to the floor joists.

Reply to 70m2 Floor, 2 substrates, Ditra and Hardie? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen