Search the forum,

Discuss 110v-240v advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JIMBOB187

Morning all, hopefully I am not about to make myself look stupid again but I need advice on the following.

I am due to start on a new build site next month and have been told I cannot use 240v, which is what my wet saw runs off. Do I or can I buy a generator with some sort of lead or adaptor to run the cutter off. Any advice greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

G

GazTech

Morning all, hopefully I am not about to make myself look stupid again but I need advice on the following.

I am due to start on a new build site next month and have been told I cannot use 240v, which is what my wet saw runs off. Do I or can I buy a generator with some sort of lead or adaptor to run the cutter off. Any advice greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:
Not a silly question, this is what you need, any 110v power tool will run from it...PS my other post ,I did not mean to belittle you....we all start somewhere....Gaz
377-2lg.jpg
RX1 : 1kVA Safety isolation portable tool transformer

RX1 : 1kVA Safety isolation portable tool transformer
230V to 110V (16amp)

Safety isolation portable tool transformer 1kVA
Input 230V
Output 110V

This 110V transformer is for use on building sites running a reduced low voltage system.

Price for 1+: £26.01 each. Price for 5+: £24.39 each. Price for 25+: £22.76 each. Weight: 11 kg. VA: 1000 VA.
  • Intermttent rating 1000VA
  • Input 1 x 230V BS 1363 13Amp plug
  • Outlet 1 x 110V 16A BS4343 socket
  • Housed in durable, reinforced, weatherproof fibreglass case.
  • Dimensions: 290 x 200 x 240mm
  • Conforms to BSEN61558 & BS4343
  • Made in China
  • Continuous rating 700va

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

You could buy a generator but you still wont be able to use it on site. 110volt means just that.
When replacing tools from now on, always go for the 110 option. All you need then is a transformer when you go on private work.

J

JIMBOB187

Not a silly question, this is what you need, any 110v power tool will run from it...PS my other post ,I did not mean to belittle you....we all start somewhere....Gaz

Thanks mate appreciate it, and regarding the other post I did feel a bit stupid but after reading it again I realised I was stupid and it highlighted my inexperience and obvious areas I need to research more.:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

Personally i would advise a 3KVA transformer with 2 outlets, it always comes in useful. Cost about £60 ish

P

Perry

Jim 110v power is provided on site from a larger transformer you need 110v tools leads are usually provided i always buy 110v tools and have a transformer as above for private work if you buy a transformer do make sure its powerful enough for what you may need in the future :pete

G

Gazzer

Dont rely on the site providing leads or lights. If you take your own, mark them clearly because they have a habit of walking.

B

bencurtis

if you check the law im sure it says you can use 240v but you must have a hard wired rcd. there was a case that went to court a while back. i still think you would struggle to get 240v on site, hope that helps

U

Unregistered

Perhaps we could now answer the question posed.

Jimbob was asking if he could use his 240v wet cutter on site. Gaz has provided a picture of a device that would convert domestic power to commercial. The picture has a domestic plug on and states input 230v, output 110v. The complete reverse to what has been asked.

Jimbob - there are devices available which would do what you require; called inverters and they convert site plugs to something you could use with your existing wet cutter.

I don't know if these would be permissable on sites as it is normal to work at 110v on site, so I'm not going to even try and answer that, but hopefully the above answers your original question posed.

W

White Room

Dont rely on the site providing leads or lights. If you take your own, mark them clearly because they have a habit of walking.

Agree with the above, Also last time I was on a housing site nearly every trade had their own generator, So be prepared to buy one.

Reply to 110v-240v advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen