Search the forum,

Discuss 1 mm grout joint in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

How viable is it to go with a 1mm joint on walls in an average bathroom with rectified tiles? I understand this would be a very 'stiff' installationand perimiter expansion would really be the only expansion the tiles would get. The benefits of this joins would be that you could go with darker grout (less discolouring) and it would still look great. I currently use a 2mm with above mentioned tiles but i cant help feeling the urge to go tighter. Obviously on timber floor i think there would be more issues.

Whats your thoughts?

Hve you ever done this and what type of grout did you use?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Never gone below 2mm myself. With the right tiles it would be possible but as BS minimum is 2mm I've always stuck to that

C

charlie1

I tid go with 1mm on small solid mosaics, i was dictated by 1mm as that was the origonal spacing in the tile, was tricky, but i agree, very psible with large format rectified well calibrated tiles

S

SJPurdy

BS 5385 part1 (7.2.1.6) joints of approx 1mm to 2mm should bve left around every tile.......

minimum wall tile joint is 1mm not 2mm as often quoted. However i generally use nominal 2mm spacers - several makes are actually less than 2mm (eg 1.7mm but consistant in size) which give a closer to 2mm surface joint with non rectified tiles. With rectified tiles i find that very few are consistant in size enough to use 1mm spacers so i stick with the "smaller 2mm" spacers!

minimum floor tile joint is 3mm but for larger tiles on timber or heated substaretes then larger is advisable.

Hope this correct and useful
Steve

C

charlie1

BS 5385 part1 (7.2.1.6) joints of approx 1mm to 2mm should bve left around every tile.......

minimum wall tile joint is 1mm not 2mm as often quoted. However i generally use nominal 2mm spacers - several makes are actually less than 2mm (eg 1.7mm but consistant in size) which give a closer to 2mm surface joint with non rectified tiles. With rectified tiles i find that very few are consistant in size enough to use 1mm spacers so i stick with the "smaller 2mm" spacers!

minimum floor tile joint is 3mm but for larger tiles on timber or heated substaretes then larger is advisable.

Hope this correct and useful
Steve

very useful information Steve!! I must admit, i thought min for walls was 2mm. The 2mm ones in b&q are really 1.5, i used to use these a lot on kitchen splash backs. I usually find rectified tiles the most consistent in size

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
some tiles have to be 1mm, if there a scored tile that you grout to give a mosaic affect, or you would see the outline of each tile...

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 76
S

stephenoneill

WILL BE USING A 1mm gap on morrocan 20 20 hand made cement tiles next week for the floor ;it depends on the tile;

Reply to 1 mm grout joint in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen