Search the forum,

Discuss "You'll need PVA for that" in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have had 7 calls this week, 2 of them today and it is only Wednesday from people who have either bought and already installed or bought and are awaiting installation of tiles. They have all bought their tiles from what I would consider reputable tile outlets and are spread throughout eastern england. All of them have been told by the outlets that they should be using PVA as their primer. :mad2:

Could we all undertake, whenever we go into any tile shop or warehouse, to say to the staff that PVA is not suitable as a primer for tiling

Pleeeeeeaaaaaseee!!!

:ban:pVA :ban:pVA

There was a young from Nantucket
Who bought PVA in a bucket
His new shiny tiles
Failed after a while
and all he could say was "oh flip ...... I promised not to swear in the forums but this is a right mess and is going to cost me a fortune"

D

dhsanta65

Surely these tile shops must stock proper primers and you would think it would be in their interest to sell these to customers and not give them duff advice like use PVA :thumbsdown:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Surely these tile shops must stock proper primers and you would think it would be in their interest to sell these to customers and not give them duff advice like use PVA :thumbsdown:

you'd think so but it never seems to go back to them so maybe they are just selling the cheapest rubbish they can get.......maybe it is just they don't know.....

D

doug boardley

it's down to a lot of the old timers insisting that "unibond is right stuff to use"!! I've managed to sway a couple of independent outlets by showing them the pva v primer thread:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
:incazzato:Trouble I have of course is that the screed is usually the first thing to get blamed for problems. :incazzato:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

My beef is with these so called experts, some tilers still insist on PVA. But imo the worst culprits are, the tile shops who stock for eg. Mapei/ PCI ,Biscem etc. adhesives. But don't stock the relevent primers:yikes: they are not all compatable:ban:

D

doug boardley

you'd think that there'd be a universal primer that would allow ettringite formation to occur between cement addy and gypsum substrate though.

Reply to "You'll need PVA for that" in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen