Discuss Winter tyres.. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

My Peugeot expert is really pants in the snowy weather..So today im going to go and get some winter tyres fitted to the front as they are getting down on tread. I will report back if i think they are worth it....:thumbsup:

A

aph257

get your self a set of wheels to put them on as you'll not want to pay to swap the tyres around when the snows gone.

E

enduro

get your self a set of wheels to put them on as you'll not want to pay to swap the tyres around when the snows gone.

These were £100 each only put two on the front...summer tyres are £60 each...and they will charge £15 too change them over in the spring.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some insurers can get funny but this is nothing to do with the tyre you fit. If you get a new set of rims to fit the winter tyres to, this is where the problem occurs as you have effectively 'modified' the vehicle. Basically fit the new tyre to the existing rim or get an identical set of rims to save changing tyres.

Also I personally wouldnt fit winter tyres just to the front, (or rear, which ever are the driven wheels), you will upset the balance of the vehicle's dynamics. Effectively you will have more grip at the front, (or rear), the you will at the rear, (or front!), in a given weather condition.

Last edited:
E

enduro

Well been out down the lanes in the van and my god what a difference, these really do make loads of difference in stopping and driving. I would really recommend putting winter tyres on your vehicle if you have the spare cash to do it...will soon pay for themselves as you can get to work and earn some money.

D

Deleted member 1779

Well been out down the lanes in the van and my god what a difference, these really do make loads of difference in stopping and driving.

Thanks for that. Interesting to read. Ive seen a bit about them in the press. They are a softer compound so you have to change them back or its expensive. Either that or in the summer you will stop like a bullet !

D

DHTiling

I have had mine on for a few weeks now and they are great.. i lost one day due to snow( reason for buying winter tyres) and the cost of 2 tyres is nothing compared to loosing day rates..

As for removing when the snow is gone... nope.. you do not have to.. just remove once the weather warms up and no chance of ice.. as warm roads can wear the tyres quick... but winter tyres are not just for snow they are for ice as well..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There must be something in the treat pattern too as I always use soft compound tyres on my cars and I tell you what, I can't stop well at all in the scooby but in the astra the wheels lock up, shift the snow, and you stop quickish. In the scooby the ABS kicks in and you can pretty much do the length of a road with it just juddering all the way down. Hand brake has come in handy a couple of times :lol:

T

trevortine

As a rule winter tyres should never be fitted just in pairs over one axle. They should always be fitted as a full set. Extra grip on one end only of any vehicle can be disastrous especially when confidence is raised by the additional grip they provide. Also bear in mind that the reason most insurance companies query this is because of the lower speed rating of winter tyres and not changing wheels over between summer and winter as long as they are original spec and same size.

D

DHTiling

My winter tyres are the same speed and load rating as my normal ones.. 91T.. If you are talking braking then yes 4 tyres of the same will be better but for purely grip then you only need the drive wheels..

I asked all these questions with tyre centre before buying.. and i am not talking a kwick-fit type one either..

T

trevortine

After 16 years in the automotive industry I learned a thing or two about many different vehicles. Having two winter tyres as oppose to a full set will only improve traction and braking ability on the drive axle hence the reason for fitting a full set which increases all round grip.Many people only fit two because of the expense.

Reply to Winter tyres.. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22