Currently reading:
Why's this tile got damp?

Discuss Why's this tile got damp? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jmp78

Hi,

Hoping to get a bit of feed back from those who may have seen this problem before. Just completed tiling my bath/shower area and after this first shower noticed that one tile has got damp (see photo attached). Now then, just one entire tile has darkened down, so I know water has got in, but my question is why and how?

If the grout was not good/failed, why haven't the other tiles around it darkened or show any sign if the water getting in to them? If it was a bad batch of tiles, why hasn't it happened to others? My guess at the moment is that this one tile has a bad glaze on the front and this is how water has got in? Has anyone seen happen to just one tile before?

Specs of the install are as follows:

Tanked with a Dunlop tanking system. Allowed one week to dry.
BAL GRIP adhesive, flat bedded. Allowed one week to dry.
Tile is a ceramic, Piamonte Beige from Topps. 3mm spacings between.
Grout is a BAL microflex. Allowed two weeks to dry.

So where do I go next, allow to dry out and seal the grout/tile or remove the tile and replace?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN1136.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 106
D

DHTiling

you could try removing the tile and see how much wetting has happened.....but you might have to re-do some tanking if it damages it...re-tile and try again.....

Or you could leave it to dry and use a grout sealer......

Does the tile it's self have any different feel to the face of it from the others..?..it might well be a faulty tile but it's hard to say by just looking at that photo...

D

Daz

Weird, does the tile feel damp or soft at all?
If it dries out as per your prediction you could try sealing with sealguard. This will provide a water resistant coating that does not change the appearance of the tile surface. IMO it's great for ceramics, porcelain and grout but rubbish for natural stone.

Make sure that the tile is securely fixed beforehand though, there's no point in sealing a tile that can potentially fall off the wall. :mad2:

F

frogeye

H Jmp78

I posted a thread on this very same problem some months ago, so I can speak with some experience.
My tiles were from the Laura Ashley collection (wife's selection). I had tanked walls etc and used Bal adhesive and grout. I left it the full 2 weeks + before using the shower and all the tiles were of the same colour and shade - they only did white and cream.
The bottom 5 tiles (all cut into the bath) , plus another full tile half way up the wall gradually turned a darker colour - now almost blue. I tried what has been suggested - let it dry re grout and seal - it doesn't work!
I feel that the only alternative is to cut the tiles out and replace. I agree with the comment that it must be because the glaze is either defective or more possibly the glaze doesn't fully cover the edges that are left after grouting.
So don't waste your time letting it dry to re grout and seal ( I used a popular spray advertised on this site and it didn't work. Bite the bullet and replace, that's what I will be doing soon.

I was considering treating the biscuit of the new tiles with sealer to try to give me some protection against it happening again - anyone have thoughts on this?

frogeye ex tiler

F

fitzer

tile looks a different shade - your grout joints look very well sealed - hard to see how water can get in there - especially if the shower head is not pointing directly on that wall - this happened to me before - when the tile shop had made up a box of tiles - after someone had previously taken samples out of box - only noticed the difference when tiling was finished and polished up - I know its only one tile but its happened to me with 3 before in a bathroom - nice bit of tiling tho

J

jmp78

Thanks to all that have replied to this problem. On reflection and seeing the experiences of others through this thread, perhaps it probably is a darker shade tile, there doesn't seem to be any alteration in its appearance over the past 4-5 days and looking at it closely it does seem to differ from those around it. If fact looking back through some photos taken whilst I was doing it, it can been seen although not so apparent whilst covered in haze, without the grout lines and shading in that area of the wall. (see attached, first row second tile up)

I guess I should be thankful its not water getting in! So do I replace it or leave it. That's my dilema now......... I assume the best way to replace would be rake out the grout around that tile, dril a hole in the center and break from there? My only worry is getting a good finish like it has now and no doubt I'll have to patch up the tanking if I do.

Or just leave it and forget about it over time..... I'm going to seal the grout with some of that Aquamix grout sealer for good measure!

Attachments

• Picture 570.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30

Reply to Why's this tile got damp? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.