Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss whos liable for bad job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

hi,
i am a joiner, but a friend of mine got a tiler in who was recommended by a tile shop,and he happened to be sitting behind the counter having a cuppa at the time.
the job on the floor was uneven and not good,tiler wont fix,saying its the type of tile,the tile is a smooth flat marble,
is the tile shop also liable for recommending him

G

Gazzer

The tiler is responsible for doing the job. If he is blaming the uneveness of the floor then he should have said before laying.

U

Unregistered

HI
the floor was not uneven as i fitted it plus fitted 6mm plywood
he is blaming tiles,but tiles are not uneven type but smooth alround

G

Gazzer

6mm ply is no good , It should have been either minimum 15mm WBP ply or 6mm tile backer boards if the floor was solid.

D

davy_G

Unreg,
Its the fixers/tilers job to highlight any potential problems before the job starts. He is then responsible for it after.
One thing of note, chippies and plumbers always use 6mm ply on floors. As SR says its no good, may as well throw down a cardboard box and tile on it!

D

david campbell

HI
the floor was not uneven as i fitted it plus fitted 6mm plywood
he is blaming tiles,but tiles are not uneven type but smooth alround

6mm ply is not suitable for tiling unfortunately!

but instead of arguing about it online would it not be better to get around the job with the customer and talk it through to see if theres anything that can be done to resolve the problem!:thumbsup:

unregistered this could damage your reputation if the customer or joiner starts bad-mouthing your work!

J

jimbob

6mm ply is not suitable for tiling unfortunately!

but instead of arguing about it online would it not be better to get around the job with the customer and talk it through to see if theres anything that can be done to resolve the problem!:thumbsup:

unregistered this could damage your reputation if the customer or joiner starts bad-mouthing your work!

I think he IS the joiner, and not the tiler........:thumbsup: isn't he??

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the tiler does a poor job then he should put it right or be jheld accountable. If he has tiled on an unsuitable substrate he is liable. Fist thing though is to establish if it is actually a bad job or if it is a perfectly good job but not as perfect as the client expected. Sometimes expectations are higher than people can possibly acheive. There are guides laid down in the relevent british standards which outline what is reasonable in terms of flatness.

Reply to whos liable for bad job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks