Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss White Deposit in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sally Burgin

I have used Starwax products on my terracotta tiles floor and in parts of the room it has now developed (over a couple of days) a whits deposit. This can be scraped off with my finger nail but this would take me days. Advice needed please on how to get rid of it.

W

White Room

Not a product I've heard of so done a search, which particular product did you use.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do you have a picture Sally we can look at
Whitening generally produced with moisture related, either salts or whitening seal or wax.
Did you wash/ strip the floor before application and how long after the clean did you apply the products?

S

Sally Burgin

Not a product I've heard of so done a search, which particular product did you use.
I used Renovator Brillant. I have used it before with no problems. We live in France and it is a very popular product as an alternative to linseed/beeswax option.

S

Sally Burgin

Do you have a picture Sally we can look at
Whitening generally produced with moisture related, either salts or whitening seal or wax.
Did you wash/ strip the floor before application and how long after the clean did you apply the products?
I haven't a photo at the moment but am going sometime today so will take one. After reading your comments I think the problem might be that the floor was still slightly damp. It was left overnight to dry, but it was a cold damp night and day. Yesterday I decapped it, using Starwax Decapant (we are in France and this is a product used a lot over here) and gave it a good wash with a wax/detergent (ie not ammonia Flash type). I am hopiung that it can dry out now and then I can finish it off.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have tried to look up up the products best I can , appears a wax emulsion. The wax may have not fully cured due to under lying moisture, this can leave a white cloudy effect , i call this dead seal , this may not simply dry away. If it hardens we may need to cut/ strip back and then re apply. If a salt residue , we can possibly clean this back.
I leave my clean backs 3-4 days minimum and full strip back 12- 14 days drying before top ups or re seals. Just for ref;
Would still like to see the picture if possible, to move you on.

S

Sally Burgin

I have tried to look up up the products best I can , appears a wax emulsion. The wax may have not fully cured due to under lying moisture, this can leave a white cloudy effect , i call this dead seal , this may not simply dry away. If it hardens we may need to cut/ strip back and then re apply. If a salt residue , we can possibly clean this back.
I leave my clean backs 3-4 days minimum and full strip back 12- 14 days drying before top ups or re seals. Just for ref;
Would still like to see the picture if possible, to move you on.
Thanks for the advice. I am now leaving it for a couple of weeks before doing anything else to it. I will also put a heater in the room.

Reply to White Deposit in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks