Search the forum,

Discuss What Tile Sealers For Floors Increase The Anti Slip Rating? (ptv Rating) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't mind me while I try and get some discussion on this pendulum test value thing I've got going on at the moment.

Searching the forum back to 2006 I can find very few threads mentioning the r value or ptv for floors and I see it as being quite important especially now polished porcelain is being used more and more in bathrooms and showers etc

I've found some coatings that increase the PTV for floors.

But I'm wondering if our current tile sealers ( @Lithofin BOB might be able to chip in on this one) that we're all using increase the anti slip nature of porcelain or other tiles, and if they do, do we choose tile sealers types because they increase the anti slip nature of tiles?

Do we even think about this factor at all?!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The coatings I found are here if anybody is interested: Handl Solutions - Anti-Slip Floor Treatments, Coatings, Cleaners, Safety Tapes - NO SKIDDING Products -the answer to slippery surfaces.

Specifically the Maxiflex, but I don't know if there's a different version for granite and porcelain and ceramic and whatnot.

Maxiflex: For demanding dry and wet conditions - High Traffic, High Gloss or Matt and a tough finish with micro grit. It can be applied professionally or supplied for in-house use.

Perhaps a string to the bow?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score

We have a couple of anti slip products- these alter the surface tension of the tile, these are not described as
Topical- product with bound grits
Ours are a chemical reaction ( flouoride based) with the surface applied, this can include ceramics, porc , granites ,some other naturals the product burns small micro cappillaries in the surface of the tile. If applied to long this can give great anti slip but will damage the surface. Giving an unsatisfactory look to the finish.
Polished porcelain will never look right with this type of product, as it always destroys the face/surface- grit bound topicals will look terrible also on these tiles and may not bind as the porosity level is so poor.
As these products are a fluoride ,acidic based product - natural stones will also be a problem , granites generally anti slip beautifully - you can have a polished surface , with added anti slip in wet conditions-
calcium based stone , will have a polished finish destroyed and not always apply evenly- harder and softer areas of the stone. Natural stones should always be honed - flamed mechanically before instal rather than try to alter the finish with anti slip products.

Topical will need replacing, ectching products will need maintaining ( to keep the slip pores/ capilaries open. Ours certainly do not have a PTV rating and I can't imagine any topical would do either. ( they will give ratings but will not be recognised )only a tile in it manufactured state will give a reading or be suitable for commercial use.

People will still continue to apply unsuitable tiles for certain situations ( polished porc in bathrooms- aesthetics over safety .

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
not sure what happened there dan, can you see rest. wrote quite a bit, battery running out Sunday dinner burning lol ,will have to come back to this mate

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a couple of anti slip products- these alter the surface tension of the tile, these are not described as
Ours are a chemical reaction ( flouoride based) with the surface applied, this can include ceramics, porc , granites ,some other naturals the product burns small micro cappillaries in the surface of the tile. If applied to long this can give great anti slip but will damage the surface. Giving an unsatisfactory look to the finish.
Polished porcelain will never look right with this type of product, as it always destroys the face/surface- grit bound topicals will look terrible also on these tiles and may not bind as the porosity level is so poor.
As these products are a fluoride ,acidic based product - natural stones will also be a problem , granites generally anti slip beautifully - you can have a polished surface , with added anti slip in wet conditions-
calcium based stone , will have a polished finish destroyed and not always apply evenly- harder and softer areas of the stone. Natural stones should always be honed - flamed mechanically before instal rather than try to alter the finish with anti slip products.

Topical will need replacing, ectching products will need maintaining ( to keep the slip pores/ capilaries open. Ours certainly do not have a PTV rating and I can't imagine any topical would do either. ( they will give ratings but will not be recognised )only a tile in it manufactured state will give a reading or be suitable for commercial use.

People will still continue to apply unsuitable tiles for certain situations ( polished porc in bathrooms- aesthetics over safety .
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've just come from a nice meal out and also have dying battery so will absorb this later.

IPhones eh.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

So basically it'll always ruin the likes of polished porcelain. Or at least the looks of it.

So that brings me to the reason for creating this thread then: Should Slip Resistance For Floor Tiles Be Considered A Factor As Important As Weight Limits For Wall

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
So basically it'll always ruin the likes of polished porcelain. Or at least the looks of it.

So that brings me to the reason for creating this thread then: Should Slip Resistance For Floor Tiles Be Considered A Factor As Important As Weight Limits For Wall

Got me thinking as well, is there a duty of care involved selling or installing unsuitable tiles in different areas, mainly wet or possibly entrance areas exposed to wet. Or generally external!!!
Who is responsible if there were an accident in a residential floor?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well on walls it's the tiler who fixed them. I think. Only he is to know the substrate weight limits.

Tile shops perhaps maybe when it comes to tile choice play an equal part with the tiler? But if a customer says I want 5 square meters of those they've got their arse covered and tiler is 100% to blame again. Surely?

Reply to What Tile Sealers For Floors Increase The Anti Slip Rating? (ptv Rating) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen