Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss wetwall wall boards instead of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Martino

A customer of mine has asked for wet wall (wall boards) in his shower cubicle, as i have never done this before (sounds pretty easy to do) im unsure as to talk them into tiles os just go with that they want?...

Has anyone had any experience of these?

C

charlie1

Or ask them which caravan do they want tiled lol. There is no place for that in a home!

T

Time's Ran Out

We did a showeroom at the end of last year and the whole of the shower area was completed in these boards (slate grey) and it looked fantastic. It complimented the rest of the walls and floor tiling perfectly. Not a fan of all the styles that are produced (fake marble/travertine/white) but since this was our own project I was very impressed with my workmanship:lol:.

T

tfs

The customer gets what the customer wants. It would be unfair to talk them out of this based on your own fitting prefference.

If you feel confident go for it.

In terms of tips, I would say

cut hieght a few mm smaller than required for easy fitting. Measure twice cut once as they say, its expensive stuff so if you are going to make a mistake make sure you cut it larger rather than small.

I would look at using the square edged stuff as this is easier to fit if the wall are not too great as you simply join edges with aliminium edging strips which are available in white or buff, chrome etc

One mistake I would imagine you could make with these (in shower area only) is if you are installing a mixer type shower get the distance between the cold and hot supply right

Wet wall makes installing cubicles and bath screens peice of cake 9just fix screw into the boards.

A good quality saw (especialy plunge saw) will make cutting this stuff dirt easy. If you dont have a good saw ensure you have a good blade and cut the correct way up to reduce chances of splintering.

Its realy not hard to install and if you have any offcuts you can use them for boxing in etc too.

Good luck mate

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Mike

I just Googled this stuff. The prices are RODOCULOUS (deliberate spelling mistake for comedic effect). The cheapest is £26 / m2. And the dearest is £63.

WHAT????!!!!!

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ive got a job coming up soon with these.Customer wanted these over tiles simply because of no grout to maintain.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
im not a fan of these mostly however i have seen 2 or 3 up in shower areas that look fantastic,most imo look naff though and cheap. maybe go look at a few ranges?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ive got a job coming up soon with these.Customer wanted these over tiles simply because of no grout to maintain.

Same for me, an elderly customer wanted the whole bathroom doing in along with the PVC T&G panels for the ceiling. The window was a bit of a bugger to work round but make sure you measure just slightly shorter to allow for fitting. If it's oversize you will struggle to get it into the channels.

The only good thing about this stuff is that it goes up pretty quick and there are no grout/mould issues which is great if you are 107 years old!!!

M

Martino

Thanks for all the comments :thumbsup: we are going to look at a few different make's, what we dont want is, any board with a shine will the shine come off in the shower area!....the main reason he want this is also because there is no grout and its quick and easy to clean....cheers again

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments :thumbsup: we are going to look at a few different make's, what we dont want is, any board with a shine will the shine come off in the shower area!....the main reason he want this is also because there is no grout and its quick and easy to clean....cheers again

The finish shouldn't come off in the shower area, although it will still need to be regularly cleaned. Because it is a fairly slippery surface the bacteria cannot grip/penetrate like it can on grout

S

Stef

Google REARO Laminates, they are based in Glasgow but they have a couple of branches in the north of England.

Im not keen on wall board myself but these imo are the best you will get.

We have done a few pub toilet refurbs with these for boxing in sink units etc.

Reply to wetwall wall boards instead of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks