Search the forum,

Discuss wetroom floor construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SirLurch

Hi im building my first wetroom and would just like advice / approval or otherwise before i get my floor down
Its first floor timber and iv striped to exposed joists (8x2 ) and intend laying 18mm birch ply screwed every 300mm and all edges with noggins
10mm Marmox stuck with BAL single part flexi and screwed 300mm
electric underfloor heating
Mira 4400 tanking kit
8mm ceramic 18x12 floor tiles
grout to be decided but probably BAL wide joint flexi

is it correct to tank under or above the elctric heating?

i will post pics when its done if anyones interested but if a lot of plumbing to sort first gg

all comments appreciated as ive been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post so be gentle - thx

D

david campbell

personally i would tank over ufh!
pm arron_u-heat for some advice on the ufh!

you seem to have everything else about spot on,though i would prefer porcelain tiles on the floor!

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

personally I would use a pre formed wet floor than construct with ply, then no need to tank

W

wetdec

Hi Sirlurch

Hi im building my first wetroom and would just like advice / approval or otherwise before i get my floor down
Its first floor timber and iv striped to exposed joists (8x2 ) and intend laying 18mm birch ply screwed every 300mm and all edges with noggins.

This is spot on will give you the strength you need to tile over.......

10mm Marmox stuck with BAL single part flexi and screwed 300mm

Here I wouldnt bother with Marmox as you are starting from the joist level I would put Celotex or rockwool between the joists before over boarding if you are worried about heat loss. If honest ply in a bathroom area isnt a majour insullation problem.
electric underfloor heating
Mira 4400 tanking kit

You are far better off and safer using a physical waterproof membrane such as Dura-wp for your floor and wall tanking. In your case the Dura-wp will also act to prevent tiles cracking with expansion and contraction of your wood sub-base.

Your under floor heating cable then lays over your Dura-wp and is levelled with adhesive or slc giving you a good surface to tile off.

8mm ceramic 18x12 floor tiles
grout to be decided but probably BAL wide joint flexi

Flexible powdered adhesive would be important throughout for : applying tanking membrane and when laying porcelain tiles.

is it correct to tank under or above the elctric heating?
i will post pics when its done if anyones interested but if a lot of plumbing to sort first gg

all comments appreciated as ive been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post so be gentle - thx

To get you started...........:thumbsup:

S

SirLurch

thanks wetdeck, comprehensive answer and i will take a look at the dura-wp, ive already got the matmox anyway, i also need to batten out and cover the walls as they were previously tiles and are appallingly uneven, ive removed old tiles but think it safer and quicker (not cheaper tho) to cover in 10mm Marmox to give flat waterproof surfave for new tiles, also need to change wall profile a liitle for asthetics, going to be a few late night me thinks :-0

W

wetdec

Hi

You seem to have too much money, :smilewinkgrin: you have increased your floor height unnecessarily and now your covering the walls with marmox wall boards when plaster board would be easier and will work perfectly well.

Its a little like your asking our advice after you have already decided what you are going to do.......... To many reps and leaflets in the mix I think :lol:

S

SirLurch

initial Q was should i tank before or after i lay efh, i simply gave my construction and invited comments to allow for an informed answer for which im grateful. The walls had to be lined and it made sense to use water resistant boards rather than plasterboard, of course either gives a good tiling surface, as already stated i accept the cost increase but considering the project total an extra £200 isnt massive. Your

W

wetdec

Remember the wall boards will require taping etc to ensure the integrity of the tanking.

£200 is a lot of money to overspend for most people especially when the results will be the same..........

If you require further just ask

Reply to wetroom floor construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen