Search the forum,

Discuss Wet saw problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zzr-matt

Finally started tiling the bathroom today after what seems like weeks of preparations!

Its only a 1 off job and I bought a wickes 450W wet saw to cut the 400 x 230mm ceramic tiles. I feed the tile through the saw very slowly and ensure it remains parrallel to the blad at all times. However along the edge of the cut there are always a number of small chips in the ceramic. This is fine for internal corners but its useless for external corners due to the light chipping being on show.

Have I just been caught out by having a cheap dubious quality cutter or am I doing something wrong?

Z

zzr-matt

Ah a little further reading and I have just had a look at the acutal disc. Its warped!

If I slide a piece of wood up against the disc and rotate 2 revs at some points the wood touches the disc and at others its a good 1-> 2mm clear of it! :-o

Is that normal? Doesn't sound it! Ive made 3 cuts with the machine and have the soaking wet clothes to prove the resivoir was full (maybe a little too much) with water! Another thing to take back in the morning!

Do I need a wet saw for the work I'm doing? tiles are about 6mm thick ceramic jobbies...

G

GazTech

You wil need the wet saw for 'L' shapes etc..we have little one for £29.99...a normal snapper will do straight cuts....Gaz

P

Perry

most tiles will have chips edges wen cut with a wet saw which as Gaz points out we cut the straight cuts normal tile cutter a little tip if you don't want any chip edges with a L shape score both lines with your normal cutter then wet cut at 45 deg at the corner of the tile to the point where the two scores meet then break the two pieces with your normal cutter Pete

M

Matthew77

most tiles will have chips edges wen cut with a wet saw which as Gaz points out we cut the straight cuts normal tile cutter a little tip if you don't want any chip edges with a L shape score both lines with your normal cutter then wet cut at 45 deg at the corner of the tile to the point where the two scores meet then break the two pieces with your normal cutter Pete

Very good advise

G

grumpygrouter

Nice tip Pete, never thought of that.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

Reply to Wet saw problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen