Search the forum,

Discuss Wet room damp plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hooleh

Hi - wondered if anyone could advise, please?
Builder installed wet room; the floor is wedi and the shower cubicle is wedi on the floor and the walls.
Outside the shower cubicle, about 18" where the tiles stop by the door into the wet room, the plaster is showing some damp above the skirting board. I don't understand where this has come from - the builder is blaming the sand and cement grout, and claiming that re-grouting (e.g. BAL) will stop this re-occurring.
The floor is tiled with slate tiles, wide spaced and sand and cement grout between. The walls are tiled with ceramic tiles.
Surely, if the floor is wedi, there should be no path for damp to the plaster? even if the floor tiles are damp by osmosis from the shower area?

I am concerned that the wedi tape is not deep enough to allow for the slate tiles, so that the damp tiles are in contact with the walls above the tape - is that possible?

Also, should the upstand in the wedi drain be sealed to the drain, or left open to allow free draining from the wedi layer?

Many thanks! H.

H

hooleh

Dave
Just the shower area.
There is a wooden (tiled) frame around a sealed door (intend to turn this into a steam room in future, once I'm sure it's water tight...) to the shower area. Think this is butted up to the wedi on the walls of the shower, and then taped on the inside.

Brian
A couple of months.
Rest of the plaster is fine; about 6" above the skirting there's a line of plaster where the paint is flaking off, and a water line about 1/2" above that.

D

DHTiling

Should really have tanked at least half way up out side of the shower...stops water ingression from the wetting of the floor..seeping along the grout lines and up into the wall area..

D

doug boardley

any chance that a radiator/water pipe has been puntured and screw still in-situ, causing a small but constant leak?

H

hooleh

Dave - thanks!
That is what I expected to have got, but hoped the builder knew what he was doing...
Would replacing grout (in shower area, or all over wet room?) with BAL wide / flexible grout solve the problem? or only partially?

I have to let the builder 'have another go' under the contract, but I'm not really happy with what I've got...

Thanks again! H.

D

DHTiling

Nope that grout will not do such a thing as making it water proof...you will need epoxy for that...better still should have been tanked...wetrooms are just that WET..:thumbsup:

H

hooleh

Doug
Nice idea!
Shower fed direct, and above floor through back of wardrobe (which has the hot tank); no apparent leaks.
Towel rail is electric, so no pipes.
Basins and loo plumbed behind units on the other side of the room; again no apparent leaks (I can see into the units).
Everything above the wedi, and all raised above the floor level of the rest of the rooms (step up into wet room).

So I think the only free water is from the shower floor... It's dried out a bit over the last 3 weeks - we've been having baths in the other bathroom! and we've underfloor heating which has helped - while we have been using the basins and loo, but you can still see the tide mark, and the paint is still flaky.

Thought the purpose of skirting board was to hide the gap between plaster and floor - so I'm concerned that the plaster is damp - does this mean that the (partition) wall is damp, not just surface??? Must ask builder to take off skirting (I don't want to damage it any more, and he's still under contract, not just that I'm not very practical!) & see exactly what I've got!

Think I need to demand more tanking further up the walls...

Thanks for the advice! H.

Reply to Wet room damp plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen