Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wall prep for large format porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

UK Tiling Advice Thread
Reaction score
What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain) tiles. In places the plaster is loose so obviously i'll take that off, but would you hack back to brick and the use backer board or.....
IMG_7922.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7923.jpeg
    624 KB · Views: 20

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Knock it off and use plasterboard adhesive at 300mm centers, knock it level wait for it to set then drill and screw right through each "dot" to the brickwork. That's fitted mechanically then as per tiling standards.

Let me get @Dave check this mate before you act on it.

Nice tiles by the way. How many square meters have you needed for it? Setting out for tiling is going to be crucial for those.

Reaction score
Knock it off and use plasterboard adhesive at 300mm centers, knock it level wait for it to set then drill and screw right through each "dot" to the brickwork. That's fitted mechanically then as per tiling standards.

Let me get @Dave check this mate before you act on it.

Nice tiles by the way. How many square meters have you needed for it? Setting out for tiling is going to be crucial for those.

Thanks Dan. Yeah the tiles are beauties. I went with the hack off option. I have to do the floor too, so planned to overboard with the STS insulated board. I've ordered 50 of the tiles and on initial measure up I think i'll get away with very minimal wastage.

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. Yeah the tiles are beauties. I went with the hack off option. I have to do the floor too, so planned to overboard with the STS insulated board. I've ordered 50 of the tiles and on initial measure up I think i'll get away with very minimal wastage.
Gorgeous tiles by the way . . . . so good, I might use them (or similar) on my bathroom project I'll be starting soon. As a DIY'er, which adhesive would you use against the 12.5mm plasterboard (per Dave's input) and would it be the same stuff in the tanked area? I've used Abacus Elements boards in wet areas on a couple of projects I've completed for myself and family in the last 2-3 years so would the same advice apply to those as to the plasterboard option?

Reaction score
Check the weight of your tiles per sqr mtr. They should be fine to fix to 12.5mm plasterboard. ( no skimming). If there’s a wet area ( shower ) then tank that area prior to tiling.
Going to use Dan's method of dot and dab and then screw it once its dryed out. using sts construction board in wet areas

Reaction score
Gorgeous tiles by the way . . . . so good, I might use them (or similar) on my bathroom project I'll be starting soon. As a DIY'er, which adhesive would you use against the 12.5mm plasterboard (per Dave's input) and would it be the same stuff in the tanked area? I've used Abacus Elements boards in wet areas on a couple of projects I've completed for myself and family in the last 2-3 years so would the same advice apply to those as to the plasterboard option?

Ultra Tile Fix ProFlex SPES Standard Set Flexible S1 Adhesive unless i'm advised differently​

Reply to Wall prep for large format porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks