Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Viakal on Travertine! What do you suggest? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

redrex

Hi all,

Obviously 'DONT USE IT' however I have just done my second and final visit to confirm that customer is happy with what I am going to do before I start the regrout and seal on the wet room floor and what I thought was a bit of water staining isn't. Having had a chat it seems that the customer used viakal to clean the floor in the past around the drain and has stripped the sealant and roughened the tiles up a bit....acid v alkali....it's not a big patch but it would be really nice to 'surprise' the customer with a smooth finish again. Any suggestions on hand polishing-if possible, etc? I don't mind even if it costs me a little, I believe I have quoted a very fair price to do the work and have allowed a bit on top for unforseen circumstances.

Thanks in advance

redrex

T

TilingLogistics

Hi

Viakal contains a fair % of Phosphoric Acid (About 10% I think according to P & G). This has probably caused Acid etching on the travertine around the drain area where they have been using it. You may be able to polish it out by hand depending on the depth of the etching. Probably the cheapest way depending on the finish would be to get your hands on a car polishing machine which are fairly reasonable and a couple of hand diamond pads. a 220, 400 & maybe an 800 grit. Keep the area wet and hone with a 220 followed by 400 and then the 800. It would help if I could see a few close up pics. It may also be possible to use graduate grades of very fine wet and dry and buff it that way wet. It would really help you if they have a spare bit so you can try it out on that first. Any problems post again and i will try to help you further.

Kev

E

enduro

The best guy you need to speak to is Tilinglogistic who on this site, find one of his post and give him a ring. :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

When you got to do it ??

I am in london fri till wed you can borro my hand machine ??

tiler

R

redrex

When you got to do it ??

tiler

Thanks Wetdec-if I can, then that would be great:yes:...Start of job is on Monday for a few hours to remove grout and sealant but then I'm leaving it until following Sat/Sun to regrout seal etc(and now polish as well). The grout has failed and susequently has let water through...so 5 days drying time before finishing off. Sould I PM you or give you a call on the 0845 number?

And thank you very, very much:thumbsup: Defo worth a drink!

Redrex

G

GazTech

When you got to do it ??

tiler

You are a diamond .....I take my hat off to you tiler..
yo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Your in chiswick and I am in Shepperton so its an easy one init. I go up for the show on the 27th and am back on the wednesday after. Am going on the train but I can get it sorted for you. Do u use Taj for stone in chiswick then.

pm me and I sort u

Its easy if you have your own gear guys but shelling out a monkey for something you might use now and then is not worth it. Ive been there ! Its sitting here bored at the mo so your welcome.

tiler

P

Philip Birch

Freed a shower valve with Viakal but paid the price - a nasty white etching of the Travertine from the valve to the floor and a patch on the floor. Finally got rid of it by sanding with 180 paper then used a product I'd bought some years earlier called Akemi Colour intensifier, a clear liquid which give stone a permanent wet look. Surprisingly good result - could not see where the etching had been afterwards.

Reply to Viakal on Travertine! What do you suggest? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks