Currently reading:
Uneven Tiled Floor - Is this bad workmanship?

Discuss Uneven Tiled Floor - Is this bad workmanship? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ajax- I thought your advice and argument fine!

It was just Zoggy's last post where he stated he hadn't contacted the original tiler since March as he thought the floor was OK.
No one in his own famiy would tell him it was anything other than OK.
Then all of a sudden the view a 50p piece tells him its the worst job he could possibly have had done!

Just last week we had a thread from the tilers point of view thinking the customer complaint was to get money off!
Again the photo raised 4/5 pages of replies and hundreds of views but I wonder how many more positive comments would have been received if this tiler had not been so honest in the original thread.

At the end of the day the customer is always right!:thumbsdown:

Timeless John.

G

grinder

Hi
I have just posted a thread looking for an experienced tiler to come round and give me advice/quote me for a job to fix or re-tile a badly tiled floor
But just after reading and looking pictures of a thread about an uneven floor I really think my tiler has completely bodged my floor.
the area was 45 sq metres and most of the tiles are different heights, I have done the test with a ruler and coin and some are around 2mm difference and quite a few are around 3- 3.5 mm difference.
The kitchen/diner was an extension and my builder was first class in every area, the plastering, screeding etc is to a very high standard so I believe the floor was even.
the tiler was independent to the builder and was recommended to me by a friend so I really think its the result of the tiler and not an uneven floor.
We are hitting our toes on the uneven tiles and there are different height gaps along the skirting and there isn't alot of grout between the tiles, mostly it just looks a mess and its really upset me.
As I said the area was 45 sq metres and took the guy 5 days, he also had an older man that he bought round and helped him for the 5 days. I paid £900 for the labour. Bought and paid for the tiles and grout separately and also he gave me separate bill for £100 for other materials he purchased (he came round a few days before and put some wet material on the concrete floor)

Any advice would be great

I'm trying to upload more but this example goes on every 8 tiles

Hi there!
If its only few tiles then you can always use Dremel or Fein tools to cut the grout, crack and remove the offending tiles replacing with well leveled tiles this time.

H

hillhead

thats atrocious workmanship.you deserved better from your painter than recomending a clown.this sort of stuff is going on everywhere at the minute.i lifted a whole ground floor a few weeks ago because of the same problem.cowboy tiler made mess there too.i even posted pics of his lovely ensuite.shocked everybody.you need a proper tiler to go in and check it all over.even lift a few tiles to see whats going on.im not sure about your legal issues but im sure someone on here can fill you in.good luck anyway.

Reply to Uneven Tiled Floor - Is this bad workmanship? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them professionally laid. At the time I asked if they needed sealing. The tiler told me since they were...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.