Search the forum,

Discuss Trowels & Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm fitting some large tiles. The wall tiles are 33cm x 100cm. Am I right in thinking a 6mm square notched trowel will be ok for these? The floor tiles are 44cm x 66cm (porcelain) and I was thinking 10mm round notched trowel. Also, wasn't sure whether to go with butech adhesive or toppfix. I'll be using bagged adhesive for walls and floors due to tile size etc. Has anyone got any other tips or suggestions?

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Two walls are plaster, the other two are plasterboard. The floor is currently chipboard but I'll be putting down 9mm ply on top and screwing down at 10-15cm intervals. I know that 9mm isn't ideal but the customer doesn't want too much of a step into the bathroom. Actually, just realised the shower wall will be 12.5mm backer board.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
what is the weight of the wall tiles? i think you may find there to heavy for a plastered wall and 9mm ply is to thin

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Wall tiles are ceramic and 9mm thick. Not sure of exact weight each but was told by Porcelanosa that they are well within 20kg/m2 recommended maximum tile weight on plasterboard walls. I take your point on the 9mm ply - not my recommendation but the client is at least thinking about it still

D

doug boardley

I'd be using an 8mm trowel for those tiles Martin, butech is a decent enough addy that porcelanosa like to push.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello,i would be using a larger trowel than a 6mm for those tiles mate
20 kilos per sq metre is for plaster skim mate not plasterboard best thing to do is check weight on side of box especially with metre long tiles

if you dont want a step in the room if the floor is solid you can fix a 6mm cement board this is a better solution than 9mm ply

good luck

D

doug boardley

I've tiled acres of these large format porcelanosa tiles Jamie, they're not that heavy tbh, but deffo agree on a larger notch than 6mm.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Was thinking about the cement board actually. Nicer to tile on to as well

Reply to Trowels & Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen