Search the forum,

Discuss timber floor onto asphalt???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ace ventura

HI all,
just been asked to quote for a job tiling a timber kitchen floor currently has vinyl tiles on, however the kithen runs into a new(ish) extension which has asphalt floor at slightly higher level than existing timber floor. the customer has asked for both surfaces to be tiles as one and also if the differing heights can be levelled out.
just wonderering if you guys could advise best way to tackle this.
Cheers

W

White Room

What the difference between the asphalt and the existing floor, You will need a controlled jount between the two different surfaces

W

White Room

The vinyl tiles should be lifted, I would be sticking 6mm hardie backer down to cover the floor boards with spf and screw, Make sure the floor board are well screwed down and there's no deflection. If the hardie boards come very slightly higher than the asphalt so a self leveling may be needed. A controled joint will be needed between the two different surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andersontiling

please be very very careful when tiling on asphalt.the devils substrate.the petroleum in asphalt breaks most adhesives down and will turn the adhesive to putty.i would reccomend a slurry mix coat first to be on the safe side and an adhesive with plenty of admix :thumbsup:

Reply to timber floor onto asphalt???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen