Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling up to wooden architrave in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

Back on my bathroom tile job after being diverted to a hallway renovation!

Can anybody please tell me what the standard approach is for tile up to a wooden door architrave?

Do you just leave the usual 2/3mm gap between the tile and the architrave, and then grout the gap? Or should you use a bead of caulk to fill the gap instead?

Think I'd prefer to use the grout as I think it would look better, but just concerned about future shrinkage or cracking.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi. All tile joints that finish against something or to an internal corner should be siliconed. Grout will crack away eventually. you can get silicone to match grout. Best to paint the architrave and ceilings before you silicone or paint wont stick properly

OP
Alf_Laden
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't read your post Phone a tiler, as these ridiculous adverts are obscuring it- see attached image.

I reported this problem to admin weeks ago and it still isn't resolved. Hmm!

Attachments

• tile1.PNG
    tile1.PNG
    191.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
Alf_Laden
Reaction score
Thanks phone a tiler - finally able to read your reply!

Are you saying that if tile up to a ceiling that the joint between tile and ceiling should also be siliconed? I have 2 walls around the bath/shower which I have just tiled up to the (plasterboarded and skimmed) ceiling and am almost at grouting stage. I was planning to grout that top joint.

I was looking at a friend's bathroom the other day to see what he did (10+ years) ago, and he grouted up to the wooden architrave door frame - no cracking yet - maybe just lucky!! :)

Reaction score
Thanks phone a tiler - finally able to read your reply!

Are you saying that if tile up to a ceiling that the joint between tile and ceiling should also be siliconed? I have 2 walls around the bath/shower which I have just tiled up to the (plasterboarded and skimmed) ceiling and am almost at grouting stage. I was planning to grout that top joint.

I was looking at a friend's bathroom the other day to see what he did (10+ years) ago, and he grouted up to the wooden architrave door frame - no cracking yet - maybe just lucky!! :)
Easier to grout to the ceiling. If it cracks then regrout or silicone. Its a pain siliconing to paitwork . Unless youre lavish with the water you shouldnt get a leak that heigh😁👍

OP
Alf_Laden
Reaction score
Easier to grout to the ceiling. If it cracks then regrout or silicone. Its a pain siliconing to paitwork . Unless youre lavish with the water you shouldnt get a leak that heigh😁👍

I do like a splash about when bathing, but I reckon I'd struggle to get the water that high! 😆. Grouting the ceiling line sounds like the best approach then.

Can grout stain paintwork during application? I've got white silk emulsion on the ceiling. I'll be using Tilemaster 3000 grout.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I do like a splash about when bathing, but I reckon I'd struggle to get the water that high! 😆. Grouting the ceiling line sounds like the best approach then.

Can grout stain paintwork during application? I've got white silk emulsion on the ceiling. I'll be using Tilemaster 3000 grout.

Thanks again.
You could mask off the ceiling with the blue paint tape if grout is coloured but if its a wet area paint the grout should wipe off. Dark grey or black especially stains everything

OP
Alf_Laden
Reaction score
You could mask off the ceiling with the blue paint tape if grout is coloured but if its a wet area paint the grout should wipe off. Dark grey or black especially stains everything
It will be a medium-grey coloured grout, so will take your advice and mask off the paintwork, rather than risk having to paint the ceiling again! I've just got an awkward external corner to tile and apply trim, then onto grouting the 2 walls. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to Tiling up to wooden architrave in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock