Currently reading:
Tiling Standards

Discuss Tiling Standards in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

No update as to what happened. so i'll throw in...Its almost definitely not British Standard. I work at the building site end of things, and Site managers love to show off their 'knowledge' of BS/NHBC standards. Cutting into the bath has NEVER been an issue. Having said that, they look like the 'metro' type tiles there, and cutting in wouldn't have looked good. That rip looks to be about 10mm at the widest, as Andystiletiling said, your tiler should have changed spacers to absorb it, it would be unnoticeable. Bit late now, but its my opinion dark grouts and white glazed tiles is never a good idea, it just highlights any imperfections, (and those small tiles are always a bit 'sizey') the bevel in the tiles would make it look just as good with white grout. :)

Chelly

TF
Swansea
Thanks all for your help and the information you have provided me. Received the 1st positive email yesterday from them saying “you have clearly done your research”, offering a refund for the tiling or for the work to be redone.

I notice that most of you hate installing metro tiles, why are they so bad? They responded.....”The specific tiles you have chosen are notoriously problematic and whilst we are happy to reinstall replacements if this is what you decide, we would suggest an alternative tile is chosen to ensure the finish is completed in line with the standards you have quoted and to enable us to complete your bathroom to meet both yours and our expectations”
But I like metro tiles?! Would you advise against also? Not sure I trust them to redo the work, so thinking of getting a quote from a TTA approved tiler (Swansea area), if you know anyone willing to take on my work?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Any tiler worth there salt should be able to use metros and produce a high standard.
The reason tilers don't like them is because there time consuming, being a small tile, going around and inside windows take forever, and there difficult to grout because of the bevelle.
Personally, I don't mind them, as I tile alot of kitchens, and can't remember the last time I did one that wasn't metros...

Setting out is all to ****. Most good tilers would plan it so no small slithers are evident. Occasionally this cannot be avoided if you have large areas with lots of undulating levels to take into account. However, i haven't had a job in the last 2 decades where i had small slithers like this. Personally i would have gone 30% cuts on the bath and this would have resulted in an acceptable, but not perfect solution. I get many baths that are not straight anyway, and have to cut the row above bath to suit.
BTW, i used to tile for fitters from wickes and always the standard is awful. Also no decent tiler would work for the rates that wickes allow for. When i was doing kitchens, they allowed £25-£30 per metre on 4 metre splashes!
How can we as tilers do a quality job on those rates? Unless of course i am ridiculously slow.....

(A big hi to all the tilers on this forum!)
Best wishes
James

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

IMG_0398.JPG

Chelly

TF
Swansea
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

View attachment 109078
Looks great! Unfortunately they are now playing silly buggers for the amount they will refund. Just out of interest, how much would you charge for removal of 6sqm of tiles and installing new ones?

Chelly

TF
Swansea
Prices are not discussed in open forum, but if you Pm a member from your local area they may be able to help.
Sorry about discussing prices on open forum. Doesn’t seem to be any members in my local area and how do you pm a member? Do you click on their profile and click “start a conversation”? There is a conversation on the open forum about prices, would it be ok to do it there or is it a no no :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Tiling Standards - British Tiling Standards Download and Information

British Standard in Wall and Floor Tiling

British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling BS 5385

Register at TilersForums.com for free to obtain the British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling BS 5385. That's both:-
  • British Standards 5385-1: 2018
  • BS 5385-2:2015
  • BS 5385-1: design and installation of ceramic, natural stone, and mosaic wall tiling in normal internal conditions.
  • BS 5385-5: design and installation of terrazzo, natural stone, and agglomerated stone tile and slab flooring.

If you require help with your wall or floor tiling then the British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling BS 5385 (its BS name and number) can help, whether it's a tiling contractor who you think has carried out inferior tiling work, or whether it's a national tile outlet, or even a local tile shop that's supplied tiles you think are not up to the British standard, then please register to the forum for free and post a new support thread of your own. Tell us as much about the situation as possible. Include as many pictures as you can. Let us know what stage the job is at. And we will do all we can to help you.

We have helped thousands of homeowners and contractors in similar situations and would be more than happy to help rectify the tiling work.

Some search terms related to British tiling standards:-
  • Wall Tiling Standards
  • Floor Tiling Standard
  • Kitchen Tiling Standard
  • Bathroom Tiling Standard

Last edited:

aytiling

TF
Arms
Nottingham
I think you're being over critical, you chose the worst grout possible for those tiles, and it's shown up in the ceiling. I've seen worse.

Are there other walls done, around a window maybe, to see what cut would have bee left on the head/sill?

That sliver (I wouldn't even call it that, I've done smaller cuts) wouldn't have looked so bad if the ceiling was level.

Simple solution, take light fitting down, over board, skim, paint, refit light. Kill 2 birds with one stone, small cut disappears and you won't notice the cocked up ceiling.

Last edited:
i dont think its a must to start with full tile if you have done your calculation as an installer they should have raised the first tile to a certain height so that they will cut small out of the last tile on top the cutting one will not be visible then the off cut will finally transfer to the base to avoid this kind of situation.
[automerge]1571143463[/automerge]
if your wall is not plum you can centralize your work by mark out the center of your wall make it your start point so that you can transfer your off cut to the corner of the wall,
if you wall is not flat why not ask the client to pay for re-plastering or re- rendering of the wall.

Last edited:
Any good tiler would check the bath for level before even fixing a full tile off it in the first place! Make a gauge rod with tiles and joint (cant go wrong) mark a datum then using gauge rod to see if acceptable cut to ceiling at all points if not centre the wall vertically or centre centre tile to give best cuts. obviously too late now as tiler has tiled the room. Best easiest option is to maybe add another skin or 2 of plaster board to ceiling to eliminate the small cuts, or coving as someone suggested although not a conventional finish in a bathroom.

Reply to Tiling Standards in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement