Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO BS 5385-1 WALL AND FLOOR tile

tile Standards | BS 5385​

As part of the five-year review of British Standards and reflecting changes within the tile industry since 2009 – BS 5385 Part 1: 2018 has now been published. One significant change made was to exclude the use of plywood as a background material for the direct fixing of ceramic wall and natural stone tiles.

Tiling Standards

Clause 6.1.2.7 Other sheets and boards (see also 6.2.3.3) now states:
“The use of sheets or boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content should be avoided. Plywood and other wood-based sheets or boards should not be used for direct tile”.

A significant uplift in the use of tile backer boards and a wide variation in quality of plywood available on the market has provided a solid case for the removal of plywood from the standards.

David Wilson, UK Head of Technical Services a member of the TTA Technical Committee said: “Previously it was recognised in BS5385 Part 1: 2009 that tile direct to plywood was possible, providing this was restricted to small areas and be “installed in such a way that they provide a [dimensional] stable and rigid background” the quality of plywood for tile purposes has decreased significantly with cheaper imports flooding the market.

“While higher quality external grade plywood is still available – it is significantly more expensive.

“It is important to consider though that that wood is a hygroscopic material which means that its moisture content will change dependent upon any changes in the environmental conditions on site. Therefore, dimensional stability of wood-based boards cannot be assured there is always a risk to installing ceramic or natural stone tiles onto plywood or other wood-based sheets,
Another technical consideration for wall tile is weight restrictions. Just as a side note at this point, if you don't have a clue what any of this is, then consider a tiling course, and research it well before paying any money. Plywood is deemed to have a maximum weight of tile per m² of 30 kg compared to proprietary tile backing boards which generally are capable of supporting heavier weights per m² of tile (As per table 3 of BS 5385-1: 2018).

British Wall and Floor tile Standards BS5385-1​

“A competitive tile backing board market means that prices are more attractive to tile fixers and contractors. This combined with the additional features and benefits of providing background for tile which are dimensional stable and resistant to moisture and thermal movement. “

However, while plywood is not recommended as a background for direct wall tile, it can still be used as a structural board when overlaid with a suitable tile backing board, particularly where installation of mechanical fixings is required e.g. for mesh backed natural stone where it is not possible to remove 75% or of the mesh backing.

Other changes to BS standards.

Previously in internal dry wall areas it was recommended that tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should cover a minimum of 50% coverage spread evenly over the back of the tile. However, driven by necessity, with the increase in the size and types of tiles i.e. larger formats and thin ceramic panels, now available of the market, BS 5385-1: 2018 advises: “Tiles with a surface area of less than 0.1 m², but which weigh more per square meter than 70% of the background’s capacity to carry the weight, should be solidly bedded e.g. the maximum weight of tile that can be supported by Gypsum plaster = 20 kg; whereas 9 mm thick porcelain tiles, which weigh approximately 18 kg/m², weigh more than 70% of 20 kg (14 kg) therefore, they should be solidly bedded regardless of their size”

British tile Standards included within the scope of BS 5385-1: 2018 are large format ceramic tiles, ceramic panels i.e. tiles with a surface area >1m² (any edge length >1200 mm) and thin tiles

i.e. ceramic tiles and panels with a panel thickness of ≤ 5.5 mm. To reflect this, additional changes have also been made in the minimum recommended grout joint width, dependent on the tile/panel size, e.g. the minimum grout widths vary by tile facial area – an example as follows:
  • For tiles with a facial area of less than 0.1m² with no side > 600mm long, a minimum joint width of 2mm is required.
  • Tiles with a facial area 0.1m² to 1m² with no side>1200mm long, a minimum joint width of 3 mm is required.
And
  • Joints between ceramic panels should be increased pro-rata to panel size (e.g. for a 3m long ceramic panels the minimum required joint width between these panels is 5mm.
Not included in the scope of BS 5385-1: 2018 are:
  • Natural Stone Slabs i.e. stone which is more than 12mm thick,
  • Agglomerate stone,
  • Metal, plastic resin, mirror or glass tiles of a similar construction
Note from Admin: We have collated most of the threads regarding tile standards. Having one thread on the subject should help those out seeking advice regarding British Standards in Wall and Floor tile BS 5385

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Matty A

what is the web site i just been on british standards online which i found through google and i still had to pay:confused:

OP
D

DHTiling

Where can i find out about b.s relating to wall and floor tile because i think it is a must that you know as much of your job as possible and as im new i dont know enough

access british standards website and you want b.s. 5385 versions 4 & 5 if my memory serves me correct.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
The BS5385 is the tile Standards , i have them and payed £120 for them, they are just full of technical info that either you wouldnt understand or you dont need, came in handy for me when i was doing my assessors and level three, but apart from that i wouldnt bother, you will get what you need from BAL product guide as it has the fixings to different surfaces in, thats all you need to know

View attachment 75913

OP
T

The D

British standards are they rules or guidelines? Just wondering what your opinion is.

OP
D

DHTiling

Seen as tile is not governed by a governing body as in not licenced like sparkys or gas guys so to speak then they are guidlines of such...unless they can be enforced then they are not rules.......
But we should try to stick to them as much as possible IMO....

OP
B

brian c

i agree with Dave,but how many times do tilers refer to BS on a weekly basis etc...especially domestic but i presume that its different for commercial as site agents and architects etc are involved.Put it this way i have never had a customer quote to me any BS,unlike if i get a plumber for my gas boiler i will ask and request to see his corgi certificate.

OP
G

GazTech

I would prefer if they were rules....but they are guidelines. I see some catastrophies in my occupation and hearts broken. The jobs that are done according to BS are at least safe, and are a good foundation for some kind of regulation. The rest is down to the integrity and skill of the person choosing work accepting them ,utilising and teaching by them, BS is all we have for now......Gaz

OP
W

White Room

My girlfriend used to work for BS, She was working on the glass section and you would be amazed how many people would ring up checking the BS number on their double glazing to check that it was legal. Companys have to pay a yearly fee for the priviledge and the testing is stringent. The company she now works for is BS registered and they visit every year to check on health and safety. Just to finish of when visiting the tile show I was given a thing to hang round my neck with my badge on it, She made a comment that BS would,nt of allowed that because it would,nt break if it snagged or caught on something because it was around my neck.

OP
P

pjtiler

I would prefer if they were rules....but they are guidelines. I see some catastrophies in my occupation and hearts broken. The jobs that are done according to BS are at least safe, and are a good foundation for some kind of regulation. The rest is down to the integrity and skill of the person choosing work accepting them ,utilising and teaching by them, BS is all we have for now......Gaz
you have your bal hat on there gaz
off the record
you know as well as me the BS is a load of *****
it changes day to day
you must have seen some of the crap tiles that carry the blessing of the BS label
travertine, B&Q for ex sample

OP
W

White Room

To be honest pj I have never seen BS on a box of tiles but then I have never looked, Will now:huh2:

OP
T

The D

Personally I see the standards as a measuring stick if something goes wrong the stick is held up and if you don’t measure up you don’t have a leg to stand on. It is for protection the customers and yours

OP
M

MICK the Tiler

I won't be a formal voter as I'm not familar with the in's and outs of BS, but in saying that an informed tiler is a smart tiler and if your new to the game you should purchase and study the standards to become familar with there contents.

Yes they are a guide and yes they are rules, but the rules will come into play if a matter goes to court, so the court will look at a particular standard as a benchmark to which the work has been carried out.

OP
P

pacman

If you do a job for Mr and Mrs Blogs and they are not happy with your work they can take you to court if your work dos not conform to the British standards then you will loos so in that respect they are rules.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock