Discuss Tiling Shower- Where to start, Setting Up in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Hope you are all well during this current pandemic!

I am onto my next stage of our renevation of our georgian house! This will be the second bathroom i have fitted but the first i am to tile.
The walls are all sorted and ive fitting the shower tray, dry fitting the screens to make sure it all was ok, and ive done all the tanking.

My questions here is the missus wants subway tiles. Ive gone for flat metro white tiles 200mmx100mm.

How the heck do i work out where to start? Its easy enough figuring out where the tiles need to go side to side in order to have no slithers and so it looks the same each side. But where do i start in order for there not to be a slither at either the ceiling or the bottom. Ive tried maths but cant work it out as you would need to consider the tiling spacers.

I bet this is going to be a simple answer.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Hope you are all well during this current pandemic!

I am onto my next stage of our renevation of our georgian house! This will be the second bathroom i have fitted but the first i am to tile.
The walls are all sorted and ive fitting the shower tray, dry fitting the screens to make sure it all was ok, and ive done all the tanking.

My questions here is the missus wants subway tiles. Ive gone for flat metro white tiles 200mmx100mm.

How the heck do i work out where to start? Its easy enough figuring out where the tiles need to go side to side in order to have no slithers and so it looks the same each side. But where do i start in order for there not to be a slither at either the ceiling or the bottom. Ive tried maths but cant work it out as you would need to consider the tiling spacers.

I bet this is going to be a simple answer.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Hey bud
One way you can check is to make a gauging pole. Basically a long stick from floor to ceiling, mark the pole with the tile width allowing 2mm for the grout edge. This method also helps to check if your tiles will be set out correctly at widows, bath, niches etc. It's worth taking the time. Then all you need to do is set your battons to the best level and hopefully avoiding slivers😬

Reaction score
Hey bud
One way you can check is to make a gauging pole. Basically a long stick from floor to ceiling, mark the pole with the tile width allowing 2mm for the grout edge. This method also helps to check if your tiles will be set out correctly at widows, bath, niches etc. It's worth taking the time. Then all you need to do is set your battons to the best level and hopefully avoiding slivers😬
A gauging pole won't allow for differences in height between BOTH the floor and ceiling. It has to be set from one or another, as both the ceiling AND the floor could be out of level. Most likely. It's a builders guide that is close to 2 inches in/out.
You will need to take a level line drawn onto the the walls (or a laser level) called a Datum Line (true and truth) which will give you much better accuracy required for wall and floor tiling.
Also, NEVER use timber as a baton as even finished planed wood is poor and not FLAT.
FLATNESS combined with LEVEL is key for a tilers finish.

Reaction score
A gauging pole won't allow for differences in height between BOTH the floor and ceiling. It has to be set from one or another, as both the ceiling AND the floor could be out of level. Most likely. It's a builders guide that is close to 2 inches in/out.
You will need to take a level line drawn onto the the walls (or a laser level) called a Datum Line (true and truth) which will give you much better accuracy required for wall and floor tiling.
Also, NEVER use timber as a baton as even finished planed wood is poor and not FLAT.
FLATNESS combined with LEVEL is key for a tilers finish.
Hey Huddersfield tiling man.
Just for your info a gauging pole can be a valuable tool for an inexperienced tiler. I probably omitted to point out your correct statement, that the corner heights of the room need to be checked. but a pole can be used for this also buy cutting it to the height of the shortest corner. This will give an easy reference to avoiding slither cuts at the various heights of windows/niches/toilet enclosures.
It goes without saying that a level line is required and I would guess most tilers know to use a laser level.
Also please can you justify your statement on NEVER using timber baton? what is your alternate material?
Joe

Reply to Tiling Shower- Where to start, Setting Up in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks