Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto roofing felt or asphalt. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hope you can help me on this one please. I have spent a couple of hours trawling the internet for an answer. I have been asked by a roofer neighbour about the possibilities of tiling onto either roofing felt or asphalt.

I have read that external grade asphalt should not be tiled directly onto. The asphalt is not a stable base as it is very soft and malleable. Due to the oils naturally present in the asphalt, it is also very difficult to adhere to. As regards to the roofing felt…….surely tiling onto this surface is a definite no no.

I have also read that Schluter – Ditra can be used.

My roofer neighbour is quoting for some repair work on a tiled roof. The roof is leaking and all the tiles need removing and replacing. I do now know the construction of the roof.

Cheers
Sean

F

faithhealer

Confused here Sean, what are you tiling and what sort of tiles? Roofing requires roofing tiles nailed on aren't they?

C

CBTC

Sean - Ditra can be use but on the last terrace job of quality that I did, we used the Wedi Balco system onto it as a base, and a Schluter stainlesss steel channel set in - but this is a pricy option. Have a quote out at the moment to do one using Ditra, but with a proviso, we need to bare in mind the circumstances of long term weathering and if water once under the tile plane can get out. If it is trapped long term and repeatedly, then it is going to cause a problem.

Reply to Tiling onto roofing felt or asphalt. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen