Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

The tiled plywood ceiling would be a good incentive not to stand in the shower too long. :lol:

M

Muse2k8

The bal microban grouts are formulated specifically to stop mould. There's the mapei equivalent but they are more of a pain to use I find. Bal, ardex and mapei are usually the choice of the pros though.

M

Muse2k8

Oh and for the ceiling I would definitely just opt for paint lol. Tiles generally don't stick too well to plywood as it is without having them above your head :thumbsup:

Reaction score
I spoke to a builder friend yesterday and asked him about epoxy grout. He suggested it would be beyond my DIY skills to manage a neat job. :lol:

So I reckon I'll be using bal microban grout.

Meanwhile, just to show I don't always listen to reason, I decided to tile the shower ceiling anyway. :yikes:

I figured that if they started to fall off, they would just match the shambles that is the rest of the house. It's surprising how relaxed you can eventually get about windows where the original wood lintels have crumbled to dust, cracks in the walls and doors with such wide gaps that toads find their way into the kitchen overnight.

ceilingtiles.JPG

H

Hyden

Plywood expands and contracts more than concrete backer board. If water finds its way onto and into your plywood, the plywood will expand. The expansion will create a soft spot under the tile that will give in when someone steps on it. This will almost always cause cracks in your grout and in some cases will pop tiles up completely.

Reaction score
hello
I have a sample too, this floor was done half year ago in steam room, Ply was tanked with paint on system all joints seems was taped too,
Ply was soaking wet, I was ripping ply like piece of paper, just pure nightmare :)
IMG_1443.JPG

Reply to Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen