Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling over plywood subfloor - advice needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, DIY home owner here in need of advice. Following a waste pipe leak that's now been fixed, I'm renovating my kitchenette. To start with I wanted to remove the old laminate flooring and put tiles instead. I removed most of the laminate yesterday and found that the 18mm plywood (please can you confirm it is plywood from the pictures?) subfloor is quite damp especially in one spot (see pic), the upper surface is a bit creased and uneven and damp to the touch, but overall the subfloor feels sound and firm. It looks like just the upper layer is affected.

I'm hoping the damp may be due to the waste pipe leak and that it will get dry in a few days, although that spot is not immediately close to where the leak was (the waste pipe is roughly 1m away, see pic).

The original plan was to let the plywood dry from the leak near the waste pipe then put a Schluter DITRA membrane on top of the subfloor and then tile over it.

Underneath the laminate there was a very light film substrate that left the wood surface quite sticky once i removed it. Also, I couldn't get all of the film off, there are bits left here and there.

If it does get dry over the next few days, can I just sand the plywood down to remove the stickiness and film bits and to flatten the creased area, and get on with the job?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220830_192117.jpg
    20220830_192117.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220830_190338.jpg
    20220830_190338.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
...An old thread now but here goes..

I think you would get away with scraping the top layer of plywood off as best you can then using a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and screws, fix down a cement or wedi board, don't trust that ply at all, it's not waterproof or even resistant

Reply to Tiling over plywood subfloor - advice needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock