Discuss tiling on plywood: how to deal with the 3mm gap: plywood joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mirjam

Dear all,

We want to tile on suspended plywood. There where two plywood sheets meet needs to be a 3mm gap according to what I read online. But how can I prepare this gap for tiling, so that it still stays flexible and can be tiled upon? Fill it up with sealant etc.???? (Porcelan Tiles on BAL PTB Flexible Grey on 25mm Hardwood Plywood Board)

Thank you very much,
Alexander.

R

Rich

These joints can be filled with adhesive as you tile the floor. Just make sure the floor is screwed down nice and tight :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

The gap is to allow boards to expand so that they do not heave against each other... nothing required to fill it other than adhesive.

D

DHTiling

Is it.. ?

Then wot ever floats ones boat. :).. if it makes them smile then that is wot counts.

M

Mirjam

Yes, u r right cam_low. We are in fact international spies, trying to blackmail the tilersforum. But now that you found it out.... .
Thank you very much for your advice (all the serious ones).

Alexander.

P.S.: we really are beginners. non professionals. and very thankful for your advice!

P

Protilers

Personally i would fill the expansion gaps with a good quality silicone!

Like this:

IMG_1473.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Oh and i am only asking as i am genuinely interested in your method , so no need to email the forum owner asking if there is a problem :) as there isn't.. :thumbsup:

D

Dave H

I would be laying Ditra 25 before tiling, more expence I know, but better than cracked floors!

P

Protilers

because silicone will allow the live boards to stretch and shrink a bit.......filling the expansion joint with a solid material like adhesive will remove its ability to expand.....

P

Protilers

Imo......this is the way to go....

lay ply with a 5mm expansion around the perimiter of the room as well as between each board and stagger the joints of the boards.....

IMG_1474.jpg

Fill the expansion joints with an expandable material i.e silicone......

IMG_1501.jpg

lay a suitable decopling membrane......

IMG_1507.jpg

fill the voids in the decoupler and tile AT THE SAME TIME!

3-15.jpg

have a cuppa!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Thanks Lee , your method is appreciated..

The thing is with timber is that as long as it cannot butt to another seperate piece then they will not heave against each other.. filling the 3mm void with adhesive is not sufficient to cause disruption to the tiling field IMHO.. unless as you say no perimeter void is left.. but what we have to do is take from each bit of advice given and see what works for you.. :thumbsup: , now of there is deflection in the substrate , then this can contribute to stress cracking at this intersection of the boards and that is another matter to be discussed.

D

DHTiling

oh and just to say,., i do not tile to plywood now.. so much chinese poo about it is unreal and if your name is PJC, then you hate ply more than me. :lol:

P

Protilers

As you say Dave backerboards etc are better to tile on.....but ply is a neccacary evil....

Reply to tiling on plywood: how to deal with the 3mm gap: plywood joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay