Discuss Tiling on marine ply? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys. Was just seeking some advice from the pros on a question I know has been asked many times.

I have a kitchen around 20sqm, i have just reinforced all my joists and there is now no movement in them.

Would it be okay for me to lay down 18mm marine ply down, and use ditra matt (or duralbase) and tile directly over this? Using flexible adhesive of course. I originally intended to use 6mm hardibacker on top of the plywood however this causes a major levelling issue with the rest of the house.

If I go down the marine ply and membrane route, will I face the problem of tiles cracking?

O

Old Mod

Use Ardex AF 200 plus to stick matting down to ply.
As long as long as there is no deflection. It should be fine.

Reaction score
Use Ardex AF 200 plus to stick matting down to ply.
As long as long as there is no deflection. It should be fine.
Great will do that. Just to add I'm tiling with 60x60 porcelain tiles. Is there any particular type of flexible adhesive that i should be looking at?

O

Old Mod

An S1 class will be just fine.
standard set, as it’s a diy project, or you’ll throw away more than you use.
make sure you back skin the tile with adhesive as well as trowelling the floor, and make sure all cavities are filled on matting too.
Periodically lift a tile to check coverage is maintained.
obviously lift the first one, to make sure you’re applying enough adhesive in first place.
If you’re creating a full bed beneath the tile, which you should be, then trowel marks will no longer be visible.

D

Dumbo

When fixing your ply make sure all the joins are supported either on joists or noggins , I've seen one sheet move one way and one sheet move the other way when not supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling on marine ply? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks