Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stavs tiles

Hi guys,

Hope you can help on this.

On a painted plasterboard can you tile directly on this?

I was thinking of scribingthe wall with a Stanleyknife every 2 inches so the adhesive has something to grip on, then rough sanding it and then cleaning it and using BAL Acrylic primer?

Or can I just tile over the paint providing the paint is not flaking off?

Any tips would be great. Just want a good strong bond. I will be using BAL rapid set adhesive.

Cheers
Stav

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
What's it been painted with? I definitely wouldn't scribe it, you'll irreparably weaken the structure of the boards. Try sanding it back. Could you over board it or cut it out and replace?

S

Stavs tiles

Hi Rich, it's white emulsion paint.

Don't really want to board it again. It's a new build flat only 3 years old, so was hoping if I primed it up with acrylic it would give the adhesive something to grip to?

Attached are some pics of bathroom, the white small Ines will be removed.

Thanks

IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6556.JPG

W

WetSaw

If those tiles have been put on properly you'll probably be replacing the plasterboard anyway.
What tiles are you putting up and are you tiling the whole wall?

S

Stavs tiles

Thanks guys, hoping the small tiles will come off ok, if not will have to reboard. I'm using 600x300 ceramic Matt tiles. Using BAL rapid set adhesive.

My main worry is just want the tiles to be bonded secure on the current wall :0

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd sand, clean then prime. Prime first with a quite a dilute mix so it absorbs right through the paint say a 5:1 mix then when that's dry go over again with a 3:1.

S

Stavs tiles

Thank you so much Rich, really appreciate your help :)

Will be using the BAL prime APD this is Acrylic based.

Reply to Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen