Discuss Tiling bathroom wall with 10mm thick ceramic tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m tiling my bathroom with 600x300 10mm thick ceramic tiles on walls. There are some tiles to remove but most walls are papered, they are solid walls with a firm sticking wallpaper, can’t really plasterboard one wall as it would bring it out interfering with adjacent door, so was hoping to scrape down paper, prime and tile, who thinks this is fine, who doesn’t? Cheers.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A plastered wall won't take the weight of the tile and adhiesve , scrape down prime stick tile backer boards to the wall with a quality rapid flexible adhesive and fix at 300mm centres with screws and washers. If it's in a wet area it will need the joints and fixings waterproofing kop

Screenshot_20190831-054113.png

Screenshot_20190831-054047.png

Screenshot_20190831-053920.png

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the walls are in good condition after the wallpaper has been removed, no blown skim and are reasonably flat, I wouldn’t worry too much about over boarding.
Tiles will be around 16kg sqm, it’s on the limit for skimmed plaster but I wouldn’t have an issue with tiling personally. :)

Reaction score
Interesting isn't it, everyone has a different opinion and it seems I just have to find my own technique. I will assess the situation and take your advice, thanks a lot.

O

On one

I'm afraid you and you alone will have to assess this particular situation.......sometimes the amount of effort in removing the tiles will loosen the finish plaster from the undercoat plaster, rendering any comments (here) pointless.......so many variables.

D

Dougs Third Go

you may strike lucky and the walls were pva'ed and a dispersion adhesive used, in which case the tiles could come off without causing disruption to existing plaster, if so, thoroughly abrade the old skimmed plaster and prime with an acrylic primer ( or diluted sbr at 3 parts water to 1 part sbr), it will be pushing the weight limits but I reckon it should be ok. Just bear in mind that your new tiles may be thicker than the existing.

Reply to Tiling bathroom wall with 10mm thick ceramic tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks